Citing regular newspaper columns

Hi all,

I'm trying to determine the best way to cite regular newspaper columns in Chicago Manual of Style using Zotero.

For example, I would like to cite the article, 'A Picture Story', by William Safire, as part of his weekly column, Essay.

The Chicago Manual of Style suggests the following:

William Safire, “A Picture Story,” Essay, New York Times, July 27, 1984.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to input this in Zotero! For the moment, I've been doing this:

William Safire, “Essay: A Picture Story,” New York Times, July 27, 1984.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • No, what you're doing is reasonable. The CMoS, with all its virtues, does have a lot of these ad hoc elements that it suggests and there's no way we can incorporate them all into either Zotero or CSL.
  • Absolutely. I thought that might be the case. Thank you for the confirmation!
  • edited April 26, 2023
    Has nothing been done on this front? This strikes me as a rather major omission: the inability to reference a series within a publication, versus a publication within a series. The flow of the citation (series after publication) connotes the latter rather than the former if you add a "seriesTitle" in "extras."

I personally run into this problem all the time.
  • I just hit this as well, trying to assemble a record for this article that is part of the "Ask the Cognitive Scientist" column:
    https://www.aft.org/ae/winter2022-2023/willingham