Web Library - view changes when clicking

edited May 4, 2023
Hi,

I'm interested in using the Zotero Web Library as a way to share a reading list/collection of sources with undergraduate college students, via the Groups functionality.

Two questions have arisen:

First, when first loading the Web Library on a PC the view looks quite modern and clean, but as soon as one clicks anywhere on the screen, the view reverts to a much more dated, very text-intensive look, with the list of entries being in very small text. This happens for me on Windows 10 using both Chrome and Edge. When I view the Web Library on a mobile, the interface is modern and clean throughout.

Is this because the Web Library is currently in the middle of being switched to a modern interface? It's not a huge issue, but together with the fact that the Web Library interface is not mentioned at all on any of the main Zotero webpage suggests that the Web Library is not a first class citizen in the Zotero world.

Second, does anyone know of any way to incorporate introductions to different parts of a Group collection? Class reading list software such as Leganto or Tallis allow the teacher to include an introduction for each section of the reading list, and to provide instructions for students. This appears not to be possible in Zotero Web Library. If anyone is aware of any work arounds, I would be very grateful to hear about them, because the Zotero Web Library is in many ways superior to products such as the Tallis reading list system.

James.
  • edited May 4, 2023
    Can you take a screenshot, upload it somewhere (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.), and provide a link here? It sounds like something is very wrong for you.

Please start separate threads for other issues.
  • Sure, of course.

Here is a screenshot of what a Web Library looks like on a PC when I first open it:

https://icedrive.net/s/BBy3z7xGBxz21Y9ShSWTa2kxTgBh

And this is what it looks like after I click once, anywhere in the screen:

https://icedrive.net/s/BizgYW1hxWYVBj9QFvRYR465DD3t

I also see the problem when viewing other public bibliographies/groups, even when not logged in.
  • Web Library offers two modes, one for touch-enabled devices (first screenshot), second for desktop devices (second screenshot).

It picks the appropriate mode based on what your browser reports - on desktops that's usually the mouse-and-keyboard mode but if you have a touchscreen then it depends on what your browser reports.

Finally if you use touch or mouse, it will switch between the modes, that's the behaviour you see when using mouse to click anywhere.

In future you will be able to override this auto-detection but we have not implemented this feature yet.
  • Ah, interesting, thank you very much for the explanation.

I am viewing the bibliography on a standard, non-touch screen monitor, which is an external monitor, but my computer does have a touch screen, so the detection must be working off that, even though none of the browser windows are open on the touch screen.

But it's good to know; at least it won't affect most people.
  • edited May 4, 2023
    Re the question about providing introductions for students to read, you can do this with a standalone note, eg ***** 'READ THIS FIRST' at the top of the collection (maybe tagged with a long string of bright emojis !).

There are limitations to this though. I have mentioned before that it would be nice to be able to attach a note to the collection itself. For broader application, it could contain things like who created the collection, why it was created, change history, etc.