Feature Request Zotero for IOS: PDF synchronization, improved PDF markup

Hi,

although I am in principle quite happy with the iOS version of Zotero, there are two (three) issues that limit its usability.

First, the app doesn't download the PDFs directly but only the metadata and then provides links to the PDF itself. The PDF is then downloaded on demand. That makes the app useless if one works in an environment without internet access (e.g. on long-distance flights or sea voyages).

And secondly, the use of a non-standard way to handle PDF markup is problematic. This makes sharing a marked-up PDF with somebody working outside the Zotero ecosystem problematic and error-prone. I can't count the times that I marked up a file in Zotero on an iPad and then shared the PDF file from my harddrive with a colleague - only to get the complaint that none of my comments are visible in the PDF. I am aware that the whole idea of keeping the markup in a central database is to facilitate working within the Zotero ecosystem. But at the same time, this setup is cumbersome for collaborating with people outside the Zotero ecosystem and for using different tools for working with the PDF. So, this should be a user's choice, depending on his/her workflow.

And, let's face it, the internal PDF viewer of Zotero is only rudimentary when it comes to the tools that it provides for working with a PDF.

So, in summary, I have two feature requests:

1) Provide for the possibility to synchronize the PDFs directly to the iPad, in order to allow for offline work.

2) Facilitate the use of external tools for marking up PDFs (e.g. PDF expert). Or, at a minimum: allow Zotero's PDF viewer to embed the markup in the standard format directly in the PDF - and then also improve the internal PDF viewer's markup capabilities.

Thomas
  • Some of those abilities already exist in some form:

1. You can long-push the collections on the left pane and get the context menu, which includes Download Attachments. Seems to also work for "All Items". I also remember seeing in the Forums that the devs are planning to implement a sync option that turns on all attachment downloading all the time.

2. You can export a pdf that includes all the annotations in the standard pdf format, and send that to your colleagues. On the desktop app, open the pdf and choose File -> Save As. Then email/share that pdf file.

For working with collaborators, Zotero suggests using Zotero groups, which keeps everything within Zotero. I haven't found a way to use them without duplicating many things, but others make use of it just fine.

3. With regards to missing features for the pdf reader, it would be more constructive to mention what they are. I personally like what I have for reading recent journal articles, and do not need more. Others have other needs. The app is actively developed and new features are added regularly.
  • Cool, thanks a bunch! I wasn't aware of the "long-push left context menu" option. That certainly helps and takes care of the first issue.

Regarding the annotations: it's still utter chaos. Sooner or later, I always end up with some part of the annotations baked into the PDF and some part in the Zotero database, depending on who as done which annotations on which device.

I am aware of the workarounds, but they are incredibly error prone. Problem is the heterogeneity of the tools that are used and are part of my workflow. For example, I am linking / bookmarking directly to the PDF files that sit on my harddrive, from other pieces of software. And that means that all the markups that only exist in the central database are gone unless I manually export them into the PDF prior to using any external tool. And it's not untypical for me that I add a couple of annotations to a dozen or more PDFs that are scattered across different subcollections. And then it's a major pain to get all the annotations baked into all the affected PDFs.

Of course, it would already be incredibly helpful to have a global command that triggers a global export of all markups into the corresponding PDFs.

Regarding the features of the internal PDF reader: isn't that a bit of a case of re-inventing the wheel? But since you asked: deleting pages, adding pages, adding bookmarks, perhaps even embedding other files.

• Regarding the features of the internal PDF reader: isn't that a bit of a case of re-inventing the wheel? But since you asked: deleting pages, adding pages, adding bookmarks, perhaps even embedding other files.
    No, Zotero is pretty committed to having the PDF reader work as the main tool -- supporting workflows of people going back and forth between Zotero and non-Zotero PDF readers (as opposed to one-time import or export of data) is something they've been very clear isn't part of their vision (given the significant trade-offs involved in terms of data syncing, versatility of annotations, etc.).

Not sure about iOS, but the Desktop app does allow deleting PDF pages using right-click --> delete in the thumbnail view. I believe bookmarks are planned -- they're one of the most-requested features.
  • edited May 2, 2023
    Having visions is a good thing. But trying to force people to stay within the ecosystem of a particular software is a really, REALLY bad idea. There is a reason why the standard for embedding annotations is... well, a standard. One simply cannot (should not) assume that a PDF is only used within the confines of one's own piece of software.

Open standards and interoperability are key.
  • They describe here why they're doing this:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/annotations_in_database
    I think these are compelling reasons (I don't think a definition of interoperability that requires an app to a) be limited by the confines of a standard designed for narrower purposes and b) to sync huge files around every time someone makes a single highlight is reasonable; I think data portability is more appropriate as a goal), but you don't have to agree. I think the chances Zotero devs are going to change their mind on this are minimal, though, so you should make your decisions accordingly.
  • As the old saying goods.. way to hell, good intentions...

Yes, I see the reasoning behind the current setup. But the approach still is incredibly centered on Zotero, it is proprietary and therefore fences all users into a small corner.

The approach excludes every other piece of PDF software on this planet. Which is why the choice of "the best" approach depends on the individual workflow. So, the user should be able to select the annotation format (managed by Zotero vs embedded in the PDF).

Syncing around big PDF files after just a few added highlights is certainly an issue. Which can be very much minimized by setting the sync frequency accordingly, or even forcing the system to a manual sync if the annotations are baked into the PDFs. And by permitting a user only a certain sync volume per month for the different payment tiers.
  • Zotero is not proprietary, it is 100% free and open source.
  • edited May 3, 2023
    Collaborating across different academic software workflows can be messy. As can needing to access/organize/distribute PDFs external to stock Zotero.

At some point it may make more sense for you to set Zotero to just use an external PDF viewer, so that all your annotations are done there and saved to the PDF file. Or if you don't want to make that the default in Preferences, the following addon allows you to open a PDF from within Zotero but with an external viewer with a simple right click.
    https://github.com/retorquere/zotero-open-pdf

There are some compromises in doing that (it is how we all worked prior to v6), but not that many. Depending on your specific needs, they might be deal-killers ... or the disadvantages might be out-weighed by the advantages.
  • @fmuro: Sorry, my bad, wrong word. What I meant is not "commercial and closed source". What I meant was "leads to lock-in because it's an approach that nobody else uses". In this context it doesn't matter much on whether the software is open source or not.

@tim820: Yes, that's exactly what I do on my laptops (using an external PDF viewer). But I can't do that on my iPad, at least not without major contortions. That's the problem...