Different behavior of pasted images in standalone and child notes

This discussion was created from comments split from: Cannot embed/paste images to the notes of a link item.
  • Hello.
    Same issue here.

@distillman, I am afraid it works in standalone but not in child notes, unless not always or not as expected.

Some results after trying to reproduce this behaviour, hoping that someone could restore this valuable feature of Zotero. (Tested with Zotero 6.0.23, and 6.0.23-beta.9+9a7486e53). Zotfile, Zutilo and BetterBibTex plugins are installed and working without any issues.

- If you create a child note and paste an image, a grey square appears, but not the image. (Insert/image menu doesn´t work either). Focus (cursor) jumps to reference instead of staying on the note.

- If you create a standalone note and paste the image, you can see it. If you drag and drop the note under a reference (as a child note), the image is there. As soon as you delete the standalone note, the child note is also deleted (I guess this last is the expected behaviour¿?).

- But if you create a child note (only text, without pasting images), you drag and drop the note to make it independent from the reference (theoretically converting it into a standalone note, I might be wrong here), then pasting images doesn´t work either (a grey square appears again).

I hope this helps to solve the issue.
    Thanks for your time.
    Zotero is great.

Jesús.
  • - If you create a child note and paste an image, a grey square appears, but not the image. (Insert/image menu doesn´t work either). Focus (cursor) jumps to reference instead of staying on the note.
    As mentioned earlier in this thread, images in attachment notes aren't supported at all, although there are some artifacts like gray boxes that we have to fix.
    - If you create a standalone note and paste the image, you can see it. If you drag and drop the note under a reference (as a child note), the image is there. As soon as you delete the standalone note, the child note is also deleted (I guess this last is the expected behaviour¿?).
    If you drag standalone note under a parent item it's moved. Could you explain once again step by step what are you doing here?
  • Dragging and drop to the reference doesn't move it, but create a kind of copy or link. If I delete (shift+Del) the note, both (standalone and child) disappear). Thanks.
  • @jesus.esteban Do you experience the same behavior if you disable all plugins?
  • Sorry, out of the office.

Do you experience the same behavior if you disable all plugins?

All scenarios checked with plugins disabled. Same behaviour. If fact, after moving the standalone note under a reference, you cannot longer include images, either in the child or in its "related" standalone note.
    Thanks @martynas_b
  • Can you 1) provide a Debug ID for reproducing this and 2) make a screen recording of what you're seeing, upload it somewhere (e.g., Google Drive or Dropbox), and either provide a link here or email it to us at support@zotero.org with a link to this thread? What you're describing certainly isn't normal Zotero behavior.
  • While trying to generate the Debug_ID, all of a sudden, it started working again. Both, copy and paste and menu/insert/image in child notes. I have checked it with plugins enabled and disabled.
    Although not necessary now, I recorded the video.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ii1uli6y2e2uiy/zotero_paste_images_Project.mp4?dl=0

Thanks for your time @distillman and @martynas_b