CSL feature: different formatting within names (for use in CVs)

Is it possible to presently design a CSL style in such a way as to allow accentuating (e.g. by making it bold, underline) only one name (defined within the style) within a list of authors/editors?

I find it (relatively) convenient to use Zotero + a self-designed CSL to store+display my personal publications/presentations... and I would like to have my name stand out when using it for my CV.

Thank you in advance for all input,
Yurii
  • No, but you can achieve that with a search & replace once you've finished.
  • Thank you, Gracile.
    Yes, this is clearly an option for a paper version CV, but it would require some additional implementation (JScript (?)) in cases when you are trying to display it online (e.g. WordPress blog + the ZotPress)...
    So maybe this could be implemented in a future version of CSL?
  • It's easy to do with a word processor or a text editor; I don't know for Wordpress/ZotPress (but that should not be terribly difficult to do manually).

I'm sure this has been requested / discussed before, e.g. here https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/64030/#Comment_64030 )
  • Yes - along those lines as per link you provide.
    WordPress + ZotPress access and display your CV on the fly from the Zotero online library, so manual editing is not a option.
  • I'm pretty sure that option exists in zotpress already
  • Thank you, adamsmith, you are correct, this is possible in Zotpress:

"Display > highlight

Highlight a piece of text, such as an author name, in the bibliography. Options: any text, [empty by default].

[zotpress collection="GMGCJU34" highlight="Sagan, C."] "

I cannot test it now, but that seems to be what I needed....

Still, might be a good addition for a next CSL version.
  • I'm skeptical of this as a csl feature. I think handling this the way zotpress does, I.e. in the implementation makes a lot more sense. We Don't want everyone with a Cv to customize a citation style. (There are also some more technical reasons why I think it's a bad fit for csl)
  • I could argue against the case "everyone with a CV to customize a citation style", but I could see the technical reasons being a valid argument. For now, for me, the wordpress+zotpress combo does what I need...
    Thank you all for the input!
  • I'm skeptical of this as a csl feature. I think handling this the way zotpress does, I.e. in the implementation makes a lot more sense.
    Like @adamsmith, I don't see this as a feature we should (or easily could) add to the CSL specification. Having to specify a name to highlight in the style itself is both inflexible, and, if based on string-matching, fragile.

It would probably be much better to encourage CSL processors to make rendered names individually addressable (with e.g. HTML markup) and identifiable (with e.g. ORCID data, if that's available) for disambiguation.
  • I could, for example, see Zotero's My Library feature adding an option to highlight instances of a particular name (or list of names) when generating a bibliography from the library.
  • Would be nice to have this. CV is really the only use I have for EndNote at this point (not like I will renew the subscription, but still would be nice to have everything in one place).
  • I think the technical way to add this in CSL would be to add IDs to contributors and then downstream tools could do text formatting based on IDs. Adding IDs allows styles to provide semantic links for contributors such as ORCID. With regards to CSL it seems that `cs:uri` could be used for URL-ized ORCIDs. But there is no current way to state which kind of URI is in the URI value within CSL, nor does there seem to be a way to access this within Zotero. https://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html#info
  • You can add <b> </b> tags around a name in your Zotero data to bold that name. I keep a separate group library for my CV that has these and other types of annotations on the items that show up in the rendered references