Note template: Remove backslash (\) before greater than symbol (>) upon export

Hi all. I'm trying to change the way my highlights are exported, and have it mostly figured out. However, when I export my notes as markdown, I am getting an issue where a backslash is being included before the greater than symbol. This is an issue, as I intend to import the exported annotations into another program (obsidian) which requires that the greater than symbol be used without the backslash. Is there any way around this?

Example of issue:

My template:
>[!quote] {{highlight}} {{citation}}{{if comment}} **Personal Comment:** {{comment}}{{else}}

My raw highlight:
“family carers often spend long hours providing care, which can be equivalent to a full-time job (Jutkowitz et al., 2019; Kishita et al., 2020; Wolff et al., 2017) and can exceed 100 hours per week (NHS Digital, 2017) making it difficult for them to leave their house”

Resultant highlight on export:
\>[!quote] “family carers often spend long hours providing care, which can be equivalent to a full-time job (Jutkowitz et al., 2019; Kishita et al., 2020; Wolff et al., 2017) and can exceed 100 hours per week (NHS Digital, 2017) making it difficult for them to leave their house” ([Contreras et al., 2021, p. 5](zotero://select/library/items/UJ3LBJ4K)) ([pdf](zotero://open-pdf/library/items/GUZMXQCQ?page=5&annotation=Z6GK7JIS)) \*\*Personal Comment:\*\* test comment
  • Perhaps put the text in paragraphs? Also, shouldn't the callout text begin on a new line? Otherwise, the text becomes the callout title.
  • @dstillman Could > be added as one of the recognized markdown shortcuts in the note editor. I am finding myself frequently typing > expecting it to be converted to blockquote
  • @dstillman, Thank you. I'm not familiar with the jargon, and so I wasn't aware that blockquotes would convert to a ">" upon export. However, using the blockquote resulted in "> [!quote]", which has the issue of adding a space after ">". Regardless, I went with a different workflow to template my exports.

For anyone with a similar issue in the future though who might chance upon this post and want to import to obsidian, I would recommend using one of the plugins that support templating. Directly importing via the Zotero plugin got me around my first issue and I felt it was easier to template using nunjucks.