OO3.1 Zotero 2.0b7.2 and plugin 3.0a4 integration failure

I cannot add references to a OO3.1 document.
I have Zotero 2.0b7.2 and updated the plugin for OO to plugin3.0a4.
When I try to add a reference I get a Zotero Integration Error message that says
"Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again."
I have tried to reinstall, I've tried to go through preferences to reinstall the plugin, but all without success.
Any help would be appreciated.
  • What version of the OOo plug-in were you running previously?

Can you provide a report ID (after triggering the dialog again)?
  • Report ID 2039871553

I don't know what the prior version was - it would have been the prior version released -
    plugin 3.1a3? maybe.

I upgraded to the 2.0b7.2 earleir in the week, then tried to add a reference to a new doc, then had a flag saying I needed to upgrade the plugin, then upgraded the plugin, and since have had this issue.

thanks
  • I have had the same problem during a formation to Zotero. Everybody who listen to me nicely have the same problem now. I feel guilty, can you help us?
    Our adress is
    http://www.zotero.org/groups/bibliolibre
    thx
    Aline and the others
  • matthew and aline, what OS, version of Java (see here), and Java plug-in (in about:plugins) are you running?
  • I'm having the same problem. Here are my vitals:

OO.o 3.1.1 (Build 9420) 64-bit on Ubuntu Jaunty64
    Swiftfox 3.5.3 (32-bit)
    Sun JRE 1.6.0_16 & browser plugin (32-bit)
    Zotero Extension 2.0b7.2
    OpenOffice Integration Extension 3.0a4

I set the OO.o integration paths as so:
    file:///usr/share/java/openoffice/
    file:///usr/lib/openoffice/program/

When I load OO.o, I see the Zotero toolbar, but no matter what button I press, I get:

"Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again."

Could it have anything to do with 64-bit OpenOffice and 32-bit Swiftfox/extensions? Does it matter that I haven't added any sources in Zotero yet? Any help appreciated.
  • Bonjour
    J'ai réussi à régler le souci pour moi-même et les personnes qui utilisaient debian testing (etch) et ubuntu (xubuntu):
    installation du plugin
    sudo aptitude install sun-java6-plugin

Et tout a bien fonctionné pour ce qui est de l'intégrateur d'openoffice.
  • In english, the same (excuse :-))
    Folowing the link of Simon, I've found I didn't run the good version of Java. So I install the last one java plugin
    sudo aptitude install sun-java6-plugin
    Then, everything is working fine for me and for everybody who had the same problem.
    The OS concerned were : Debian etch, Ubuntu 9.04 (et Xubuntu 9.04).
  • Some more detail from my post above. I enable Zotero debug output but I'm not sure how useful it will be. I reloaded Swiftfox and OO.o. In OpenOffice, I clicked "Edit Bibliography." The following message appeared in the Swiftfox console:
    zotero(3): Integration: Instantiating @zotero.org/Zotero/integration/application?agent=OpenOffice;1 for command editBibliography
    and I got the following pop-up:
    Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.
    So then I clicked "Insert Citation" and this appeared in the console:
    zotero(3): Integration: Instantiating @zotero.org/Zotero/integration/application?agent=OpenOffice;1 for command addCitation

zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration: Instantiating org.zotero.integration.ooo.Document in response to getActiveDocument call
    And I get this in a pop-up:
    Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
  • theophile, try the OpenOffice trunk XPI. It may give you a slightly better indication of what's wrong.
  • Using the trunk XPI I get the exact same behavior as above. Is there a better way to get useful debug information?
  • Try starting Firefox from the command line and see if there's any output when you try to add a citation.
  • Post #9 indicates the command line output from Swiftfox when I try to add a citation in OpenOffice. Are you referring to something else?
  • Sorry, I missed that. Can you also give a report ID?
  • I get this from Report Error:
    [JavaScript Error: "this.javaObj is undefined" {file: "file:///home/theophile/.mozilla/firefox/qhcm6pig.default/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration.js" line: 224}]

[JavaScript Error: "this.javaObj is undefined" {file: "file:///home/theophile/.mozilla/firefox/qhcm6pig.default/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration.js" line: 224}]
    The report ID is: 993138026

Thanks for taking a look at this!
  • edited October 6, 2009
    None of these errors are particularly useful, but I suggest you try removing the IcedTea plug-in (icedtea6-plugin) if you haven't already. Alternatively, your paths might be wrong if you have multiple copies of OpenOffice.org installed; where did you get the OOo 3.1.1 package?
  • Thanks for your reply. I do not have the IcedTea plugin installed. The OO.o 3.1.1 packages I am using are from the Jaunty PPA repo, as described here: http://webupd8.blogspot.com/2009/05/install-openoffice-31-in-ubuntu-jaunty.html
  • ...also, here are my currently-installed plugins:

http://monopedilos.com/AboutPlugins.html

If it makes a difference, I was having this problem before I installed mozplugger.
  • edited October 7, 2009
    That looks right. I assume you've also tested Java and that it works, which leaves me a little puzzled. Have you tried the version of Firefox that ships with Ubuntu to see if the problem is restricted to Swiftfox?
  • I haven't, and I've been hesitant to do so because I would have to remove my JRE and plugin and install 64-bit Java. But if that's the only step at this point, I guess I'll have to take it.
  • If you want to wait a couple of days, I can try it on my Ubuntu box in VMWare (died a smoky death yesterday, but I should be able to test on Thursday). Otherwise, it's your best bet for the moment. I know that everything properly fine on a default Ubuntu install.
  • Hi everyone,

I got this problem too, after upgrading to the latest plugins.

I am on Ubuntu 32 bit 9.04 with firefox 3.0.14 and OO 3.0.1

I installed the sun-java6-jre package, following some advice on the forums, but that didn't work. After a bit more investigation, it turned out that I was lacking sun-java6-plugin too. installed that, and told the FFX plugin to redo the OO integration, and it all worked smoothly.

Not sure if that helps...
  • Unfortunately it doesn't. I definitely have the plugin installed. I'm going to poke around with Firefox64 a little later and see if that yields anything.
  • Okay, I tried it with Firefox 3.5 (Shiretoko) and the Sun JAVA plugin from the Jaunty repo. I get the exact same behavior as described above with Swiftfox32. I submitted another error report with an ID of 1318843112 in case it indicates anything useful.
  • The relevant part of that error report is

Error calling method on NPObject! [plugin exception: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException].'

We've seen this before when the URE path was set incorrectly. If you type "locate ridl.jar" at the command prompt, do you see more than one result? If so, try the directory you haven't tried yet.
  • I turn up three results:
    /opt/openoffice.org/ure/share/java/ridl.jar
    /usr/lib/ure/share/java/ridl.jar
    /usr/share/java/openoffice/ridl.jar
    /usr/lib/ure/share/java/ridl.jar is a symlink to /usr/share/java/openoffice/ridl.jar

I configured Zoreto plugin to point to /opt/openoffice.org/ure/share/java/, reinstalled the integration component, and restarted Switfox and OpenOffice. I get the same error. Here's another ID: 313624398
  • edited October 9, 2009
    That error is actually different:
    java.security.PrivilegedActionException: java.security.PrivilegedActionException: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]"
    which isn't supposed to happen with the IcedTea Java plug-in (now that we've changed our code), and definitely shouldn't happen with the Sun Java plug-in, but reflects an issue with the Java plug-in. Do you see any relevant output now if you open Firefox from the console?
  • No, still getting this on the console:

zotero(3): Integration: Instantiating @zotero.org/Zotero/integration/application?agent=OpenOffice;1 for command setDocPrefs

zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration: Instantiating org.zotero.integration.ooo.Document in response to getActiveDocument call
  • Hmm, what happens if you give the /usr/lib/ure/share/java/ directory a try? The jar files themselves apparently care about which path they're loaded from (or else we'd bundle them with Zotero, and avoid this mess).
  • No dice. :(

Error ID: 906470936
  • I just installed the updates to Zotero and the OO.o integration plugin and while things still aren't working, I think I'm getting a different error: