Memory leak after i use the PDF reader within Zotero

My mac is M2 MacBook Air [8GB+512GB], i can run the zotero smoothly if i dont use the pdf reader inside. there is a serious memory leak when i use the pdf reader. it seems that it cant be closed even i close it after reading...

Does anybody have a good solution for this problem?
  • Does it happen with all PDFs?
  • And does it happen with all plugins disabled?
  • @martynas_b @dstillman yeah, i test it again, and it happens for all PDFs and when all plugins disabled.
  • @luxueqiang Could you provide specific numbers how much the memory usage grows after using PDF reader and how it changes after closing the tabs?
  • @martynas_b thank you for your reply.
    when i open the zotero, memory usage = 1.65 GB;
    when i open one pdf (100pages), memory usage = 2.85 GB;
    when i close it, memory usage = 2.25 GB;
    and then, memory usage will increase gradually (always spend 3-4 hours to reach 6GB);
    if i open many pdf files at the same time (like 10 files), memory usage will go to 6-7 GB, and will not go down even i close all the pdf files. i have to restart zotero now...
  • For record, I cannot see any leakage, as far as I know, on my M2 MacBook Air (16 GB, Ventura 13.3). I had 16 PDF tabs opened (no scanned/OCRed pdfs, not exceeding 35 pages). 2 add-ons are active ("Open Pdf" and "PDF Preview"). The app memory fluctuated around 3.5 and 4.5 GB, depending on the active tab.
    Now that I have closed all tabs, memory dropped below 2.5 GB. I can leave my laptop open over the night to see if there is an increase in memory usage, and report tomorrow.
  • @poettli Thanks for your kind.
  • After 14 hours, zotero is using about 2.3 GB of memory (no PDF tabs opened)
  • @poettli uh, thats amazing, anyway thanks for your test anyway.
  • @luxueqiang Memory leaks like this can sometimes happen, but should be very rare.
    Is there something unusual about your case? I.e. huge PDF files, or PDF files with large images, many annotations?

Anyway, we expect most of the memory usage related issues to disappear in Zotero 7.
  • @martynas_b yeah i found that when i open the huge PDF files like a book, or PDF files with large images, or the OCR PDF files, it happens surely; but when i open some of the latest journal paper pdfs this happens rarely; and there is definitely no memory leak if i open zotero without any pdf tags open. by the way, whats the expected schedule for Zotero 7? i am so excited about it.

Thanks for you attention.