Modifying info in Zotero app - bad outcome in my word

Good morning,

I would appreciate it if you could help me with the following doubt:

I have references in a word document, which were cited from my Zotero app. The link between my Zotero and word document seems to work well, as when I cite a new reference, it is synchronised with the word document, and adds the new citation at the end of my document.

What I was trying to do is to modify the info from the Zotero app (of some of the references, as I saw that the date or volume weren't correct in some of them). After changing the info, I refreshed the app and the word document : my references cited in my word document changed (the information I changed in the app was updated on the reference in the word document), but it changed other things (example: it added the internet and available from & link part, and it did not appear before):
" Eurosurveillance [Internet]. 2018 Nov 15 [cited 2023 Feb 1];23(46). Available from: https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2018.23.46.1800516")

How can I avoid adding unwanted info to my references on the word document, apart from the info I modify?

thank you in advance,

Maria.
  • Great you're adding missing information into your metadata in Zotero.

The styling is dictated by the citation style that you selected when you created your document and inserted the first citation. You can change that in the Zotero tab under Document preferences.

However, the "Eurosurveillance" page you're citing will likely look very similar in other styles since it is, obviously, a website.
  • Thank you very much for your answer.

I have changed the style, but I keep seeing the same, as you mentioned as it is a website.
    Is there any way I can solve this? I uploaded the pdf in my Zotero app before citing it for the first time, therefore, shouldn't it be a normal reference instead of one with a link?

I will appreciate it if you could help me knowing how it can look different, even if it comes from a website or how to do it so it doesn't come from the website.

Thank you again.
    Maria.
  • Without knowing how you'd like it to look, we cannot really give much recommendations. ;)

But try changing the item type to "Report", "Document" or similar.
  • Thank you, how can I change the item type?
  • On the top, where it currently says "Web Page", click on that, change the type.
  • Sorry for my late reply. Thank you very much for your help.

On the other hand, I have one pdf that when I click on it, doesn't show the normal area on the right (with Info, Notes, Tags or Related). It only shows a tittle, filename, modified and indexed. How can I change that? I don't have the option of changing the item type.

Thank you again.
  • It sounds like that PDF is a standalone attachment. You need to give it a parent item so that metadata can be added:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/adding_items_to_zotero#standalone_attachments_and_parent_items
  • Thank you very much for your help.

I managed to have the parent item, but now it appears as the title and ".pdf, n.d.". It doesn't create the normal citation.
  • Then you need to fill in the information of that newly created parent item. Author, title, date and so on.
    "n.d." stands for "no date", so it looks like there is just no metadata available.
  • When I look at the newly created parent item, I can see all the information though.
  • edited April 5, 2023
    Can you remove that citation and enter it again?

If that doesn't work, can you take a screenshot of your Word file and your Zotero interface showing the item? You can upload it to GDrive or any other photo sharing platform and provide the link.
  • I'll try to remove the citation and enter it again, thanks!
  • Good morning,

I would like to pose another question: I have a reference which is well citated in my word document. But doesn't show the "issue", or I would like to have the year located in another position of the citation. I have the citation style I need, but I would like to adjust these aspects.
    Would this be possible? I would understand that if I selected the correct citation style, it would locate the year or issue in the correct position.

Thank you very much in advance.