Single inverted commas in title output as double inverted in bibliography

This journal article's title has single inverted commas in the published title:

‘Healthcare heroes’: problems with media focus on heroism from healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic

But my style adds double inverted commas:

Cox, C.L. (2020) ‘“Healthcare heroes”: problems with media focus on heroism from healthcare workers during the COVID-19 pandemic’. Journal of Medical Ethics 46(8), pp. 510–513.

Does anyone have any idea how to stop this?
  • That's set by the citation style/the language you choose the citation style to use under Document Preferences. It's a difference between British and American English.

Which style are you using?
  • It is University of South Wales - Harvard. I'd be interested to know what line that is set on.
  • I have looked at the document preferences and the language drop down is greyed out although it says English (UK)
  • edited March 27, 2023
    It's greyed out as the style is set to use only one language. (Other styles like APA let you choose)

And it turns the single quotes into double quotes in order to differentiate from the single quotes that get rendered for the whole title (which are correct as per guidelines).

Do you see any example in their guidelines that clearly demonstrates how this behaviour should be handled? It's changeable.

• There's nothing on Zotero at the documentation URL given in the style code
  • I think I might need to do a translation in locales
  • What makes you think this is an error though?
  • edited March 27, 2023
    It is correct typesetting to alternate between single and double quotation marks when they are nested. This citation style wraps the whole title in single quotation marks. When it does so, then the quotes around the first part of the title are inverted to be double quotes. That’s standard typesetting in English. The behavior you are seeing is correct.
  • edited March 27, 2023
    Sorted - added this under locales:

<term name="open-inner-quote">‘</term>
    <term name="close-inner-quote">’</term>
  • Oops - don't know how to post code.
  • Re: It is correct typesetting to alternate between single and double quotation marks when they are nested. This citation style wraps the whole title in single quotation marks. When it does so, then the quotes around the first part of the title are inverted to be double quotes. That’s standard typesetting in English. The behavior you are seeing is correct.

Unfortunately my university seem to have a problem with it.