Bringing a library from another computer to edit a document using references from it?

edited March 15, 2023
What's the recommended way to do this. I'm considering using a second profile on this new computer, then copying the data folder from older computer and pasting into the folder of this new profile. Then bringing the other document and running the zotero with the second profile. Is there anything missing or to be mindful off? I'm using zotfile to keep pdfs in one folder on older computer and plan to use it again here. It's a long form document so I'd like to use the full library and may be even update it on this new computer as the writing continues. Thanks
  • That's what sync is for.
  • Yes but my pdf library is beyond the free limit and I need them as well when editing the document. Thank you.
  • You can transport the PDF folder separately (either just on a USB stick or using a third party sync service like OneDrive or Dropbox), though you'll want to set up relative links for linked files first so the links work on multiple computers. You'd have to do that either way -- it's not terribly complicated, but it does require proper set up (in the advanced/files and folders tab of the Zotero preferences on both computers), so if this isn't entirely clear to you, is probably worth finding some tutorial about either on the forums or on someone's blog.
  • Thank you, I'll try this. A follow up on it, I added some citations to the document on the previous computer, so once the library is set up on the second computer, is that just a case of continuing to edit a copy of the document from previous computer on the second computer?
  • A follow up on it, I added some citations to the document on the previous computer, so once the library is set up on the second computer, is that just a case of continuing to edit a copy of the document from previous computer on the second computer?
    Yes -- if you sync, that'll just work