No reference to Zotero in Word

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero toolbar doesn't appear in Word 2021 Mac Ventura.
  • In my case, Words doesn't open Zotero. I'm work in Mac Ventura 13.2.1 . It simply doesn't show. I've tried everything but in the bar there is no reference to Zotero among the complements. I would really appreciate some help.
  • (Please start new threads for new issues. I've moved this to a new thread.)

It's not clear what you mean here. Are you saying you don't see the Zotero tab in Word? If not, see Zotero Toolbar Doesn't Appear, and if you're still having trouble let us know exactly what you tried, in your own words, and what happened at each step.
  • Unable to find: \zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install
  • You'll need to say more than that for us to be able to help you. Again, what are you doing, step by step, and what's happening at each step?
  • First step didn't work (Preferences in Zotero).
    Next, I found \zoteroWinWordIntegration@zotero.org\install
    In that folder I found the Zotero.dotm file.
    Then, I couldn't open the startup Word
    (The ctrl/shift/c didn´t lead me to Go)
  • edited March 13, 2023
    It's Command-Shift-G, not C. But it's also just Go → "Go to Folder…" in Finder.
  • It works with -/Library/Group
    but
    Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word
    doesn´t appear
  • edited March 13, 2023
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Just copy ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word to the clipboard and paste it into the "Go to Folder" window.
  • (Excuse my English... I'm not native of that language - not even near).
    I did as you said but, instead of leading me to the desired archive, a pop sounded and it went nowhere!
  • edited March 13, 2023
    Feel free to write in your native language.

The documentation section explains how to find the Startup folder if it's set to a different folder.
  • Aparentemente el startup estaría en:
    /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word
    Zotero.dot está dentro de esa carpeta.
    La instrucción yo debería:
    clearing the setting and letting Word use the default location
    y
    he path should not include “Zotero” in any way, and if it does you previously configured it incorrectly. If that's the case, you should reset the path so that it is blank and the default location is used.
    Pero no da instrucciones acerca de como hacer esto
  • edited March 13, 2023
    Wait, are you using Word 2011? You're following instructions for Word 2016 and up. That's why the folder doesn't exist.

Note that we no longer support Word 2011, so we can't help you on this, but it definitely still works if you set it up correctly.
  • No.
    I'm using Word for Mac, 16.70
  • I'm following your instructions in Zotero:
    Word 2016 and 2019 for Mac
    The default location of the Startup folder is ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word. (~/Library refers to the Library folder within your home directory.) You can open it from the Finder by pressing Cmd-Shift-G and copying in the path. Alternatively, to navigate to it in Finder, hold down Option, click the Go menu, and select Library (which is hidden by default), and then follow the rest of the path.

If changes you make to the Startup folder aren't taking effect, you can confirm that Word isn't set to a different location. In Word, open the “Word” menu in the top-left of the screen and select “Preferences”. Click on “File Locations” under “Personal Settings” and click on “Startup” at the bottom of the list.

Generally, no location should be listed, causing Word to use the default location. If another location is listed (e.g., /Applications/Microsoft Office 2011/Office/Startup/Word, from an earlier version of Word), clearing the setting and letting Word use the default location may fix installation problems and allow Zotero to install the plugin automatically going forward.

Note that the path should not include “Zotero” in any way, and if it does you previously configured it incorrectly. If that's the case, you should reset the path so that it is blank and the default location is used.
  • OK, so then you set it incorrectly as explained there and should reset it. There's a Reset button right in that window.
  • I´ve never set anything: it always worked by itself!
    In which window do I find the RESET button?
    In the FINDER it just shows the Zotero.dot

• The whole section is about the File Locations window in Word, not the Finder. That's what's set incorrectly and what you have to reset.
  • I reset the Startup. I opened Zotero, it sent a quick successful message (I imagine, it was too fast). Then I opened Word but nothing happened. Zotero is not in the tool bar.
  • I will try tomorrow...