Many citation styles in one document (doc)

I need to insert citations both below the pictures/charts
and in footnote but in Word preferences I can choose only one place. When I try to change location, all the citations in my document change place.

Is it possible with Zotero to use two different citation styles in one document?

Thanks for any help!
  • no, not currently.
    I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to do, either. Maybe there is a way to achieve the same thing - but two different citation styles isn't possible and has not been requested in the past, either.
  • I think what pbjs wants to do is have an inline citation for figures, in a document that is otherwise using footnotes. So a figure caption with source like

* Fig. 2 - Air-Speed Velocity of an Unladen European Swallow [source: Chapham and Cleese, MPHG (1975)]

I don't know about style guides but it seems like I've seen publications in this form (I think I've done it myself on occasion).

As a partial work-around, you could copy-paste (right click, generate bibliography from selected item) instead of using a "live" citation.
  • Yes, there are at least 2 different citation styles in my document. The first one in figures captions and the second one in footnotes. Using "copy-paste" method (thanks, alexuw for your suggestion) instead of a "live" one makes sense if paper is short. But I don't know how to deal with that problem during creating dissertation (or similar document) with plenty of citations in it. Does anybody have an idea how to cope with it?
  • pbjs, I'm in the same boat trying to plan for my dissertation and am very interested in anything to do with using zotero in dissertation- or book-length documents.

On my platform (linux and openoffice) it's been a moot point because performance was so bad and no master document support, but that may have been fixed with the recent rewrite of the word processor plugins. I haven't tried to test yet.

Actually for now I'm assuming I won't use "live" citations because of too many issues and not knowing when they'll be fixed. The productivity boost I get from zotero's citation-grabbing and formatting, and the note-taking, organization, and search features, make it a no-brainer to use even without word processor integration.

I also might look at document formats other than openoffice, but that's another can of worms.
  • This is a long shot, but have you tried inserting a Section Break in Word? Section Breaks are how Microsoft Word signals to itself (and to the user) that changes will be limited to that section. In other words, you are able to changes styles, margins, tabs, headers, footers, and even page orientation in one section without having it affect the other sections.

I believe you are allowed to have multiple Section Breaks on a single page. A Section Break does not imply or require a Page Break.
  • I agree with Eric. I am currently writing a very large manuscript with multiple chapters that need multiple bibliographies. Section breaks in MS word would provide an easy way to do this but the functionality doesn't exist yet for zotero. Who can we suggest this to?