Zotero not updating numbering in bibliography to reflect citation removal

Hi,

I no longer need one of the references I used and want to delete both the citation and the reference. I deleted the reference all together in the Zotero desktop app but that change was not reflected in the actual paper on word.

I then deleted the citations manually in the paper (i.e. citation number 18), deleted the entire bibliography and re-added the bibliography without success.

Next, I re-did the bibliography and removed the said reference in the desktop app. This time it removed it from the paper as I wanted it to, but now it skips 18 in the formatting of the bibliography. So it goes from references 17 to reference 19, instead of auto-reformatting the citations and the bibliography to reflect the removal of 18.

Here is the text from my bibliography:

17. Costelloe CM, Madewell JE. Radiography in the Initial Diagnosis of Primary Bone Tumors. Am J Roentgenol. 2013;200(1):3-7. doi:10.2214/AJR.12.8488
19. Patel DM, Weinberg BD, Hoch MJ. CT Myelography: Clinical Indications and Imaging Findings. RadioGraphics. 2020;40(2):470-484. doi:10.1148/rg.2020190135

Ideally, Zotero would detect that 18 is missing and change 19 to 18 and change all the citations in Word to reflect that.

Is there a solution to this that does not involve me changing numbers manually? How do people usually remove a reference all together and have the citations and bibliography reflect that change? The whole point of using this software was to avoid manual inputting.

Thank you!
  • What citation style are you using? If you restart Zotero, then click Refresh in Word in the Zotero tab does it stop skipping the number?
  • Similar problem here with following difference, I don't remove reference from Zotero library as I want to have it over there for future - writing is not finished.
    Further difference in proceeding: I don't delete entire bibliography but manually remove entry in bibliography corresponding to deleted citation - necessary cause bibliography doesn't get updated on Refresh regarding deleted citation - entry still in bibliography.
    adomasven test: doesn't help, however it's hard to observe if in Zotero tab it stops skipping the number upon click onto Refresh. I am not sure if I understand well how to do this check.

Chicago manual note 17th
    LO suite 7.4 + master- and sub-documents (if it only matters here)
  • You should not remove the entries from the bibliography via the Edit Bibliography dialog, if you are not citing that item anymore. You should remove it from the text, then it will automatically disappear from the bibliography upon refreshing the document.
  • edited March 2, 2023
    > You should remove it from the text
    That's how I do it.
    In my particular case this is not sufficient - corresponding source still in bibliography

Because source of deleted citation is not gone from bibliography (after conducting Refresh completes) I decided to remove it manually from document's text. Also this measure doesn't lead to durable result. With every next Refresh or so deleted citation source item is back to bibliography.

So far I use Edit Bibliography only to place bibliography in document which has none.
  • If the item doesn't disappear from the Bibliography it means it is still cited somewhere in the document. You may temporarily enable field code display and then use Word's find (Ctrl/Cmd-F) dialog to search for the cited item in citations in this document.
  • I have actually removed the citation from the entire document and then removed the reference from the bibliography in 2 different ways.
    1. I removed the bibliography from the edit bibliography dialog.
    2. I removed it from the bibliography directly in microsoft word.

While both of these end up removing the reference, the real issue is the numbering and formatting. Let's say I removed reference 18 as above, it now goes from 17 to 19. It's not auto reformatting for 19 to become 18. So in essence I would have to manually change the numbers from 19 on which seems odd and arduous.

I have tried refreshing and restarting and still jumps from 17 to 19
  • sgaddam0609 -- that's actually expected: edit bibliography is not an appropriate way to remove items from a numbered bibliography for exactly that reason (because the number 18 is still in the text, referring to the now absent item, it doesn't make sense for the bibliography to change the numbering. Go to edit bibliography again and reset the bibliography so it again numbers properly.

You need to remove all references to the item in the text. If that doesn't work, see adomasven's post above (for the OP -- it's possible this is related to using a master document. As we said, that's not something that gets tested.