Making References in a Note

Is there a possibility to make a reference to an item in my library in the notes of another item?
  • edited May 7, 2022
    Yes, there's an Insert Citation button in the new note editor in Zotero 6. It will be preserved as an active citation if you insert the note into a word processor document using the new Add Note button.
  • Is there a similar way to insert a reference in a note added to the pdf in the pdf viewer?
  • @alexander.winkler: No, sorry. Annotations use a much simpler editor that doesn't support citations. Not impossible we'll be able to support them at some point, but no guarantees.
  • ok, I understand, thank you!
  • Is there a keyboard shortcut for the "insert citation" button in the markdown note interface/editor? I have scoured the google, the official zotero help pages for shortcuts, and looked through zutilo, but I cannot find anything for this.

It is a small thing, but as a heavy keyboard user, who uses a lot of cross referencing in my zotero notes, it would be great to be able to add citations using the keyboard.

• I noticed when you are inside of the note editor, when you press esc, focus switches to top bar of editor. Then I tab through it to add citation. Also you can use Alt+F10 to focus toolbar. And in Zotero 7, you can write a script with Action and Tags plugin for the function.