Has Zotero signed the STM sharing principles?

I am looking into how I am legally allowed to share PDFs in a private group.

I found a handy website, howcanishareit.com. If I put in a DOI it will tell me how I can share the article. Many can be shared in Scholarly Collaboration Networks (SCNs) but Zotero is not listed. Approved SCNs for sharing in a private group include Mendeley, Papers, ReadCube, Trellis, LabArchives.

Wiley articles sharing guidelines state that I can share a copy of the published article in a private group on Scholarly Collaboration Networks that have signed the STM sharing principles.

Has Zotero signed? If no, are there any plans to or reasons Zotero has chosen not to?

References:
- Wiley Article Sharing Guidelines: https://authorservices.wiley.com/asset/Article-Sharing-Guidelines.pdf
- https://www.howcanishareit.com
- https://www.stm-assoc.org/
  • edited March 2, 2023
    I would suggest that Zotero ignore such attempts by academic publishers to further limit access to the work of researchers that those publishers did not pay for.
  • Note that at least the first two are all about sharing your *own* work.

I don't work for Zotero and have no insight into what Zotero might do, but I'll note that all links point to initiatives by large, for-profit publishers and the "approved" SCNs are tools run by those same publishers or their subsidiaries, which would likely explain the lack of Zotero representation...

While publishers certainly have the right to determine publication of content for which they hold copyright, I'm not convinced they have the right (let alone the legitimacy or the ability to enforce) to ban sharing content in small, private groups as allowed by Zotero.
  • @adamsmith and @tim820 - Good points about the potential conflicts of interests with respect to publishers and their tools. I hadn't considered that, but it is consistent with the list of approved SCNs (and Zotero's absence from the list).

@adamsmith to be clear, 'howcanIshareit.com' covers both sharing your own work and other's work, and it covers SCNs as well as other mechanisms of sharing, broken out by type (author's copy, accepted copy, copy of record).

The focus of my question isn't 'what behaviors can publishers practically or legitimately prevent' but 'what behaviors meet expectations of copyright law'?
  • Yeah, but copyright is complicated and varies from country to country.
    In the US, where Zotero is located both in terms of legal personhood and server location, fair use provides fairly robust exceptions for small scale, non-public sharing of copyrighted materials. Fair use (if you're covered by the doctrine) involves weighing of interests, which also means that things like the nature and size of the group is important.
    5 people at a university look very different from 50 people at a publicly traded company in the eyes of US copyright law, e.g.
    If Zotero allowed publicly sharing potentially copyrighted material, they should probably join this (that's, I assume, why CoS, a non-profit that runs preprint servers, has signed). Given that it doesn't, I think it's safe to ignore.
  • To me and many of my researcher colleagues, the issues regarding copyright law in their written work are both legal and ethical. How did we end up in the situation where researchers give up their copyright to publishers for basically nothing, and those publishers then sell it back to researchers' universities for millions of dollars ? And those publishers prevent the taxpayers who often funded the research from their taxes (and also fund many of those institutions) from accessing that same published work (as well as for example doctors in poorer countries from accessing the latest published medical research - a deliberately emotive example). If you think that whole situation is unethical, then that will shape your position on publisher copyright, and your attitude to initiatives like these front websites for publishers.

On the legal side, the situation is perhaps not always as clear as assumed. For example, in the current sci-hub case in the Indian courts, sci-hub's lawyers argued that publisher's copyright transfer contracts with researchers should be deemed invalid, because the researchers did not get paid for their work, directly or in the form of royalties (ie the way in which the law assumes that copyright transfer works). Of course researchers do not on the whole want to be paid for the papers they write (they still get their salaries either way); but nor do they want publishers to profit to the tune of billions of dollars by restricting access to their work. In any case, that motion failed only on a technicality, so was never tested on its actual legal merits.

If you read the text of "What are Scholarly Collaboration Networks (SCNs)" at the howcanIshareit site you could be forgiven for thinking that they are a warm and fuzzy researcher-centered notion about how those researchers can share the work they authored with other like-minded researchers. But then you see how particular platforms are listed by name as either offering 'networking functionalities', or not. Then a more cynical view might instead describe SCNs as a publisher-invented euphemism for platforms that their corporate lawyers should monitor closely for potential copyright breaches.

I suggest again that Zotero should have nothing to do with publishers' transparent front operations designed to strengthen the assertion of their questionable copyright.