Word error with output style Oxford Art Journal

Hi - I think I've found a reproducible error with the output style for Oxford Art Journal. I selected this hoping to demonstrate footnote styles in Word, but using it appears to consistently cause a Word error and can leave the Zotero content in a confused state.

I've tried the various suggestions on the troubleshooting page, e.g. copying the file / contents, removing OneDrive from the equation, but the problem does appear to persist. I've also tested using multiple saved references, without any variation in the results.

To reproduce:

1. Add 'Oxford Art Journal' to the list of output styles.

2. Create a new document and add a citation using a default style (I used CTR Harvard 12th for reporting, but I've tried several other styles and all have had the same result).

3. Generaete a bibliography.

4. Go into Document Preferences and set the style to Oxford Art Journal.

At this point on my machine, Word will generate an error message ("Zotero experienced an error updating your document").

After closing the error message, the document will show both footnote references and a bibliography. Changing the style after this will alter the output of the bibliography and the footnote references, but the in-text citation will remain a superscript number (as per the Oxford style). Checking the Document Preferences panel immediately after the error occurs shows the style as still set to CTR Harvard (at this point undo can still work to revert the changes).

The error only occurs if a bibliography has been generated, so I assume it's related to the fact that Oxford Art Journal doesn't support bibliographies - you do get a message to this effect if you try to generate a bibliography while OAJ is the current style. As long as there's no bibliography in the document, I find I can switch between OAJ and other styles with no problem - but as soon as a bibliography exists, switching to OAJ will cause the error.

I haven't checked any other footnote-based styles, and I suspect in practice the error is most likely to effect demo sessions where I'm changing the style on the fly - but as I say, it does seem to be consistent.

Versions are:

Windows 10 Enterprise 21H2 (Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0)
Word 2208 (Build 15601.20456)
Zotero 6.0.20

I've created a debug report with the ID D571484643.

Many thanks.
  • Yes, this specifically happens when switching to a style that does not define a bibliography (which are relatively few overall) in a document that already has a bibliography inserted. I have reported the same thing before, I think, but can't find the relevant thread.
  • edited February 22, 2023
    Thanks for the confirmation - I've had a couple of hiccups in the past when demonstrating style switching, so I always make sure to test the day before to avoid any problems. It's clearly not my day, as I'm now getting several formatting issues when trying to switch to Chicago Manual of Style. In practice nobody's likely to want to make wild style switches like this, but it's always been a nice lead-in technique to get people's attention. I might just have to tone it down a little.
  • Chicago Manual should definitely work (FWIW, endnotes are more finicky than footnotes, though all errors I'm aware of are switching *from* endnotes to in text citations)