Style Request: [International Journal of Cross Cultural Management]

I guess the editors modelled it on Harvard and APA.
Differences with APA:
in text citations are ordered chronologically.

reference list:
books:
- authors first name doesn't have "." after the abbreviated first letters. So it is Blunt, P and Blabla, A
- multiple authors uses "and" instead od "&"
- date: no "." after the date so it is: Blunt, P and Blabla, A (1999) title
- title is not italicised and is seperated from location by a comma ","
- title words are capitalised eg "Managing Organizations in Africa"

Journal articles:
title of the article is seperated from journal name by a comma ","
journal name is not italicised
volume number is not italicised
journal page numbers are kept short, dropping the hundreds: so 579-99

Chapters in books:
-author's first name is abrreviated without a "." eg: Schwartz, S (1999)
- multiple authors have "and" instead of "&"
- title of chapter is seperated from next part by a comma ","
- chapter title "in" book instead of apa style "In" book
- only first author of the edited book is mentioned
- "et al" instead of apa "et al."
- title words are capitalised eg "Managing Organizations in Africa"

Conference and other papers
- date: no "." after the date so it is: Blunt, P and Blabla, A (1999) title
- title of paper is not italicised
- title of paper is seperated from conference by a comma "," eg Achievement motive of Brazilian, Israeli and USA Managers, paper presented at 7th bi-annual
- "paper" is not capitalised like in APA.
conference name ends with "(month)", eg title of paper, paper presented at conference (June)
- month is seperated from location by a comma, eg (June), Jerusalem
- internet sources: first organisation followed by (date), then a comma "," followed by the title
web title is capitalised eg South African Defence: In Transition
title is followed by a comma "," then exact complete webadress
access date is seperated from website by comma "," eg: www.cdiss.org/safrica1.htm, 6 October 1999
access date is in format day month year, eg 6 October 1999
access date is seperated from pages by a comma eg: 6 October 1999, pp.1-3

These are the examples given by the editors:
References are represented in the text by author and date [e.g. '………as Kedia & Bhagat (1988) has indicated….'; '…current research (Schwartz, 1994; Elizur & Tchaikovsky, 2000) has shown..']. Sources from websites should be shown as follows:… (CDISS, 1999) .. References are collated into an alphabetical and date-order list at the end of the text in the following style.

Journal articles: Kedia, B. L. and Bhagat, R. S. (1988) Cultural constraints on transfer of technology across nations: implications for research in international and comparative management, Academy of Management Review, 13(4), 559-71.

Books: Blunt, P and Jones, M L (1992) Managing Organizations in Africa, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.

Chapters in books: Schwartz, S (1994) Beyond individualismllectivism: new cultural dimensions of values, in Kim, et al, Individualism and Collectivism: Theory, Method and Application, Beverly Hills, CA: Sage, pp. 85-119.

Conference and other papers: Elizur, D. & Tchaikovsky, F. M. (2000) Achievement motive of Brazilian, Israeli and USA Managers, paper presented at 7th bi-annual conference of ISSWOV (June), Jerusalem.

World Wide Web sources (showing precise page location and date accessed): CDISS (Centre for Defence and International Security Studies, Lancaster University) (1999), South African Defence: In Transition, www.cdiss.org/safrica1.htm, 6 October 1999, pp.1-3.

Sage webpage: http://www.sagepub.com/journalsProdManSub.nav?prodId=Journal201498
  • just a quick update - I'm looking at this - but those are a lot of changes, will take some time.
  • another update - I'm getting there. Major problem is that the style guide on the website is very vague and the actual style used in the journal is different - e.g. all initials are with period in the journal, e.g. here:
    http://ccm.sagepub.com/cgi/reprint/7/3/275
    there is a colon in front of the pages for journals
    I'm sure there is more.
    The style actually used in the journal appears a lot more logical and consistent, so I'm following that.

The journal, for whatever weird reason, also uses single instead of regular quotes 'like this' and that's not currently possible (it is using prefix and suffix, but that's an ugly hack that I don't want to put in.
  • Thanks for the effort Adam. It is very much appreciated. If you want I'll get in touch with somebody on the editorial team and ask her for more clarifications.
  • try this style.
    http://gist.github.com/199217
    use the Raw link on the top right to download and install by dragging into an open Firefox window.

I've followed the published articles and not the examples on the webpage, which just seem too carelessly done (and I figure what they publish is what they really want).

The one thing I haven't done yet is go over the web-source thing, a bit labor intensive because it's highly unusual.
    Otherwise - let me know if this is along the lines of what you want.
    Maybe you can check with the editor about what they want - it's kind of hard to tell if published material and examples are so far apart.
  • @ Adam
    Thanks for the work. It seems to be ok. I have forwrded it to the editors for fedback. Will let you know as soon as they get back to me.
    Many thanks again.
  • I've the style as a dependent style of Sage Harvard on the csl 1.0 repository on github for the time being - that's what it should be according to instructions, happy to modify where necessary.