OpenOffice Integration Error - runs install whenever I open Firefox

Every time I open Firefox (3.5.3) or a new window within Firefox, a small "Progress" window opens which quickly is replaced with a window "Zotero OpenOffice Integration Error" with message: "Zotero OpenOffice Integration could not complete installation because an error occurred. Please ensure that OpenOffice is closed, then restart Firefox." I'm using Zotero 2.0b7.2 and OpenOffice Integration 3.0a3 on Windows XP. Within OpenOffice the Zotero tools work fine.

Report errors text:

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER) [nsIPrefBranch.setCharPref]" nsresult: "0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero-openoffice-integration/content/browser-overlay.js :: anonymous :: line 285" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER) [nsIPrefBranch.setCharPref]" nsresult: "0x80004003 (NS_ERROR_INVALID_POINTER)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero-openoffice-integration/content/browser-overlay.js :: anonymous :: line 285" data: no]"]

No loss in functionality, but this is a bit of annoyance.

Thanks for the great tools!

Eric
  • So, no one else has encountered this problem, eh? ...darn.
  • I'm seeing something just like this. I'm restarting things and trying to see if anything changes now. Got an error when I tried to insert a citation into my open office document too.
  • Just submitted an error report ID 1842122866
  • ok, managed to get firefox from continually attempting to install open office components everytime a firefox window is opened by uninstalling the plugin from the Add-ons in Firefox AND ending the firefox.exe process in windows task manager. I was unable to access the plug-in's options through the Add-on menu as it would stall on trying to install the open office components and I would have to kill that window through task manager.

Also, perhaps related, my document would not update, such that I couldn't change any citations or run any part of the open office plug-in. Fortunately, I only had a couple citations in there so far, and was able to fix the problem by using the "remove field codes" option on the plug-in's tool bar and redo-ing those citations.

Annoying, but seems to be fixed for now.
  • Thanks -- that worked for me, too, to get rid of the error messages in Firefox, but the Zotero toolbar in OpenOffice doesn't work any longer. Get the message: "Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again."

Did you reinstall the OpenOffice Integration Add-in?
  • Yeah, I uninstalled the open office plugin in both open office and firefox in conjunction with ending the firefox.exe process. Then reinstalled the plugin through firefox. At that point, I could finally access the options for the plug-in in the Add-ins window and clicked the Reinstall open office components button. After that, it started working in my open office documents again. Hope that helps. Looks like a few people have had a similar problem, gotta wonder what went wrong, eh? There's gonna be a time in the near future that I'm gonna start smashing things if I have to figure something like this out near a deadline... :)
  • This should be fixed in OpenOffice Integration 3.0a4, now available.
  • On 3.0a4, I got a Progress window that hung at "Removing Old Zotero OpenOffice.org Extension"

Tried to manually delete the extension out of C:\Documents and Settings\xxxxxxx\Application Data\OpenOffice.org\3\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages

...seemed to have created more problems.

Firefox add-in says it successful installed OpenOffice components, but the extension doesn't work in OpenOffice and nothing has appeared in the above folder. Also tried "Reinstall OpenOffice.org Components" in the add-in preferences -- still no luck.
  • Everything worked for a little while, updated the plugin when I saw it was available yesterday, and just now tried to enter a citation and 'bonk' - got a similar sort of problem as before.

Report ID: 1770538539
  • bemisgeology, do you see an error message in a window? If so, could you send a screenshot of the message, preferably along with your document, to support@zot...org? Unfortunately, due to architectural constraints, the report ID alone can't help us diagnose issues with the OpenOffice.org plug-in.

Thanks,
    Simon
  • Hi

I'm having the same problems with open office for Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plug in, plus tried to run the open office integration update.

Also, when I try to update in an old document I get told that the zotero library is unavailable.

Lise
  • Hi

I've mnaged to get Zotero up and running - uninstaling and reloading all components. The only issues now are the Zotero citation dialogue box, which is popping up behind the document, and the preferences, which will only let me use reference checks, and not bookmarks.

Lise
  • the preferences, which will only let me use reference checks, and not bookmarks
    Select a non-note-based style.
  • Thanks Dan - good to know that the referencing style is the issue.
    I guess I'll have to wait until the notes styles allow the same thing (somehow, I can't see my journal editor letting me off notes)

Lise
  • It's an OpenOffice bug with bookmark handling, so unfortunately there's no saying when it will be fixed.
  • Report ID: 1826840572

Still unsure how to solve the problem:

Having upgraded to the latest version of zotero/Firefox/Openoffice (Win XP), I am unable to fully install the word processor plugin; I always get the message:

"Zotero OpenOffice Integration could not complete installation because an error occurred. Please ensure that OpenOffice is closed, then restart Firefox." (OpenOffice was closed)

Thanks for help and comments!

Ale
  • edited October 29, 2009
    What are the paths in the Zotero OpenOffice Integration preferences (Tools->Add-ons->Extensions->Zotero OpenOffice Integration->Preferences)?
  • edited October 30, 2009
    The integration preferences would be:

Java UNO Runtime Directory:
    file:///C:/Dokumente%20und%20Einstellungen/esguerra.a/Desktop/

soffice Executable Directory: file:///C:/Dokumente%20und%20Einstellungen/esguerra.a/Desktop/

I am not 100% sure if this is what you were asking...

Thanks a lot!
    Ale
  • This is what I was asking for, but these paths are definitely not right. I'm not sure how you ended up with them, but the standard paths are

file:///C:/Program%20Files/OpenOffice.org%203/program/

soffice Executable Directory: file:///C:/Program%20Files/OpenOffice.org%203/URE/Java/

See if the C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program and C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\URE\java directories exist on your system. If they do, just replace the paths in that dialog and click "Reinstall OpenOffice Components." If not, look for directories with similar names, and try those.
  • mmhhh, I've tried that; I use a German system, so the path would be

file:///C:/Programme/OpenOffice.org%203/program/
    file:///C:/Programme/OpenOffice.org%203/URE/java/

but it is not working yet....

I keep on playing around a bit with these paths

thanks ale
  • Somehow, it just does not work!

I've changed the integration preferences a few times, but the same message pops up again and again...

Has anybody experienced similar problems? Any other suggestions or ideas how to solve the problem?
    Ale
  • edited November 1, 2009
    The directory may well be called Program%20Files in Firefox, due to something weird Microsoft does to localize directory names in Windows. You should be able to reach these paths in Firefox; you can start from file://C:/ in the URL bar, and navigate to the appropriate directory. The soffice executable directory should have a file called "soffice.exe" and the Java UNO Runtime directory should have a file called "ridl.jar". If you can't figure out what directories these are in, the Find command is always an option. If you find something that works, let us know.
  • I tried to install the same OOO extention and ran into the same problem. This is very annoying. The file paths can be opened in firefox. Please help.
  • pergo, what operating system are you running? What are the paths?
  • Hi, I am on XP Professional, Firefox 3.5.4.
    The paths are
    file:///C:/Programfiler/OpenOffice.org%203/share/extension/install/
    file:///C:/Programfiler/OpenOffice.org%203/share/extension/install/

I have tried to choose the paths manually. They are working when I open them with Firefox URL bar.
    Does this has something to do with the Norwegian localization of Xp/Firefox. I can see that some of the others has localized versions as well.
  • Hi again.
    Problem solved. Guess I didn't read the post good enough. I changed the paths to:
    file:///C:/Programfiler/OpenOffice.org%203/URE/java/
    file:///C:/Programfiler/OpenOffice.org%203/program/

and managed to install. Seems to work ok now.

Thanks your help.
  • edited February 8, 2010
    Hi!
    With your great advices, I were also able to solve this "error" problem. However, there is still no zotero toolbar in my OpenOffice, even after I have reinstalled components.

Any ideas?

Thanks for all help!
  • After many messages of "Zotero OpenOffice Integration could not complete installation because an error occurred. etc'' I solved this problem as follows.

Note this is for a Mac system. Replace "add-on" with "Plug-in", "Preferences" with "options" etc for Windows. (Not that Ive tested it on Windows)

(with Oo closed)
    1. Open the Firefox Add-ons control box from Tools
    2. Highlight the Zotero OpenOffice Integration Add-on.
    3. Select the Preferences button that appears within the add-on after step 2
    4. Choose "Detect OpenOffice Paths" button
    5. Browse to Applications/OpenOffice.org icon (ie the application itself). Highlight icon, and open it.
    6. On my Mac this reset the paths to
    file:///Applications/OpenOffice.org/OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/basis-link/ure-link/share/java/
    sOffice Executable Directory:
    file:///Applications/OpenOffice.org/OpenOffice.org.app/Contents/MacOS/
    7. Choose "Reinstall OpenOffice.org components"
    8. Restart Firefox.
    9. Start Oo.
    The Zotero toolbar appears and does all the right stuff.

By experiment I found that if you change the Directory paths above manually to something stupid, and then uninstall the Add-on, the stupid settings are still remembered after you do a fresh install!

This suggests that the Add-on is getting its directions for the paths from somewhere apart from itself. And that set of instructions may be wrong.
  • After a few hours I finally solved the problem: just update you java :-)
  • Hello: Problem solved in Windows Vista.
    In my pc, there is two folders of OpenOffice versions, 2.4 and 3.2. Delete the folder OpenOffice 2.4, restart and ok.

Thanks.