[BUG-Solved]Biological reviews style is not showing correctly when generated in word

edited January 31, 2023
Hi there,

Could anyone know how to solve this problem?

I am using the biological reviews style. However, when I generate bibliography in the word document, the reference style which is correct showing in Zotero style preview window is not showing correctly in word document. To be specific, the Zotero style preview window shows authors full SPELLS CAPITALIZED, but in the word document, ONLY the FIRST letter of authors capitalized.

For example: Zotero style preview window shows, ABDALA‐ROBERTS, L while generated bibliography is Abdala‐Roberts, L.

here is a wetransfer link with a screenshot
https://we.tl/t-A6EE70ukFW

Could anyone help? Please! Thankyou all!

Best,
Sihao
  • I have tried refresh and reload bibliography, but none of them works
  • edited January 30, 2023
    Can you confirm that you actually have the citation style set under Document Preferences in the Zotero tab in Word and not in Zotero?

Can you confirm this works correctly in a fresh document with only a couple of sample citations?

(internal note: CSL style is correct)
  • edited January 30, 2023
    yes, I confirm for the first one but no for the second one. But when i try google doc, it looks fine, but with a weird font.
  • is this a font problem? Now I am using times news roman in the word
  • here is the link for citation style set under Document Preferences in the Zotero tab in Word https://we.tl/t-KWWsd2P8ML
  • Can you try in a new Word document with just one citation and an item that only has 1-2 authors?
  • It's in the midnight here, so I will try this tomorrow morning. But i assume it's the same, not correctly showing
  • hi Adam, as you suggested to open a new Word document with just one citation and an item that only has 1-2 authors, it WORKS. I then added papers with 3-4 authors, it WORKS. When I add paper with 13 authors, it collapse... Could you please help?
  • edited January 31, 2023
    Check how the one with 13 is actually entered in Zotero. Are you using single field mode or the mode with the first and last name in their respective fields?
  • sorry, I am not sure how to look for the paper entering in Zotero? could you give me some reference? what do you mean by single filed? I am sorry
    "Each name field can be toggled between single and two field mode by clicking the “Switch to single field” / “Switch to two fields” buttons at the end of the creator field. Single field mode should be used to institutions (e.g., when the author is “Company A”), while two field mode (last name, first name) should be used for personal names. If a person has only one name (e.g., “Socrates”), enter this as a Last Name in two field mode. You can switch the order of two field author names by right-clicking on the name and choosing “Swap First/Last Names”."
    source: https://www.zotero.org/support/adding_items_to_zotero

Just go into Zotero and compare one of your good citations vs the bad citation. Are they entered the exact same way?
    yes, both good citations and the bad citation entered the same way (i.e., two fields) with a last name first name convention.
    What can I do next?
  • I can reproduce this and I think there is actually a bug with Zotero/CSL processor.

1. setup document using Biological Reviews style
    2. Add citation: Campbell & Pedersen...
    3. Create bibliography (all fine, in small caps)
    4. Add a citation with a lot of authors (Acadia et al...)
    >>> Small caps get removed from bibliography.

the same happens wif you directly start with a citation with many authors.
  • Just guessing, but if it's really based on length then it may be a variation on this Word bug.
  • I'm almost certain that's the issue, yes, that's why I asked to try with fewer authors. The workaround noted on that page should apply as well.
  • omg, it works now!!!! A dummy entry, with a last name Aa, Jack. A lot of thanks to you two!