You have reached your Zotero File Storage quota. Some files were not synced.

ups... ;-)

think I need to upgrade... any timeline?

cheers
mads
  • Hi,

I've got the same problem.
    So I deleted a collection. Now I'm using 86% of my storage but each time I'm syncing I get this message "You have reached your Zotero File Storage quota".

Any idea?

Anyway I will upgrade...
  • Como se aumenta la cuota de 100 mb en zotero? estoy al limite!!!
  • I am interested in a quota increase too... any timeline?
  • Hello,

I have reached my storage quota as well. I understand you guys are working to provide more storage (hopefully a lot more, the size of my library is almost 10x the size of the current storage allotment). I just want to know if the actual references (not pdfs and other attachments) are all being backed up or only the ones for which the pdf/attachment was also able to be backed up? I would like to know if I need to be doing a manual backup during this time.

Thx.
  • edited September 29, 2009
    I would like to know if I need to be doing a manual backup during this time.
    A manual backup is always good to have, of course.
  • I realize this and have manually backed everything up. I still want to know if zotero is syncing all of my references and just not some of the attachments or only a portion of my references with their attachments.
  • eglover -
    file (attachment) syncing and item syncing are entirely separate. Zotero is syncing all of your items, regardless of whether they have an attachment or not.
  • So when can I have more storage?
  • edited December 18, 2009
    I don't have the storage problem -- I'm using less than 20% of the storage. Yet every single time I sync, I get an error that I've gone over quota.

My files still sync up, but I don't know why this meaningless error persists. It's happened since I installed 2.0, on every version.

What I'm surprised by is when I googled "You have reached your Zotero File Storage quota," this was the only hit that came up. Somehow I don't think I'm the only person to have this issue. I'm also experiencing this on a few different browser versions, and on different computers -- in other words, it's not an isolated incident confined to one particular setup.
  • Is there not perhaps one large file (over 80Mb probably) that would make you exceed the quota when synced?
  • YA-HAH! Nice call Mark. I ran a graphical disk analyzer (linux) on ~/.../.zotero/storage, and found a freakin' video file of a lecture I didn't know was stored in there. That was 190mb.

I removed that, and everything is syncing just fine for the first time ever.
  • Hello, I am really lost here and would appreciate any help.

I am using Zotero with both a laptop Mac and a desktop PC. Every time I try to sync from my PC it works well but every time I sync from my Mac I get the "quota reached" message. What does it mean? What is the current limit for storage? How can I know the size of my collection? How can I check if I, too, like scroobious above, have a problem with a single large file, searching on a PC or Mac?

Thank you in advance for your help!
  • you can just look at the size of your Zotero Data folder on your Mac
    http://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#locating_your_zotero_library
    the free quote is 100MB - if the problem is a single file on the Mac you can either use a disk analyzer software on the storage folder just like scroobious, or you can just look at the size of the folders in the storage folder individually (or in groups).
    You can look at how much of your quota you currently use on the zotero.org website under settings.
  • Thank you very much adamsmith. Curiosity: why would the problem show up on my Mac but not on my PC?
  • because you stored/downloaded the file(s) in question on your Mac and it never synced to your PC.
  • The error message will tell you the file in question.
  • I am having this same problem and someone mentioned that he found a large file (over 80) that was causing the problem. Can you explain how to do that? I don't know linux...
  • If you are on Windows, go to Start->Search, or just open Windows Explorer and then go to View->Explorer Bar->Search. Then under "Look In", select your Zotero directory (to locate it, see: zotero_data [Zotero Documentation]). Then you can specify a size of "at least x" to find large files.
  • Thanks anders_royce. I found my Zotero on my Mac, but then there are hundreds of folders and I'm not sure how to check for the largest b/c the files are housed in folders and the folders do not say sizes.

I am also wondering more about syncing. I have read the posts and other forums, but I am still confused: if my zotero is coming up with the error message but I still see the new references in my group library (my group library is small, while my library is the large one, the one probably causing the problem), do I not have a syncing problem but rather I just have an error message problem?
  • References are synced separately from attachments, so references should continue to be synced even if you have reached your file storage quota.
  • @jmndp: surely you can do a recursize search for files inside those folders, and then sort by size?
  • If you go to Report Errors in the gear menu after receiving the quota message, you should see a message that lists the filename in question. (No need to send in a report, though.)
  • Report ID 38781432

I've deleted many things from my library (nearly 100), and have gained no space in my library; I'm still getting a message that I'm out of space. There are only 17 items now in my personal library, and my account settings say that I'm still using 62.6mb of space. How can I get rid of the error message?
  • @catherinebenton

Have you emptied your Zotero trash folder? This can be found at the bottom of the collections list in the left hand pane. Right click on it and select "empty...".
  • Can't believe I didn't think of that before....
    Thanks! It's fine now.
  • edited May 8, 2010
    I paid for 1 gig of online storage (because I had 100 sources with pdfs attached), I have 100 gig free on my hard drive. and I don't see why this is coming up.
    Edit - I went to settings storage and the 1 gig was not visible there. The charge never cleared so I purchased the 1 gig again. This time the 1 gig of space was immediately visible, so the issue seems to have been a lost transaction in my case. (now I am using 0.99% of my allotment instead of 99.1%)
  • for anyone else who has been deleting files to get under the quota but still getting a limit reached error, make sure you empty your trash.
This discussion has been closed.