cannot open pdf using zotero, showing invalid pdf structure

I have changed to a new computer and downloaded, set,syned zotero. After all that, I opened pdfs; most failed showing "invalid or corrupted pdf file" with more infor saying "pdf.js v2.8.158 (build:d05c49ce7) message: invalid PDF structure".
However, when I used adode reader, all files turned normal.
I have tried delete account, resync, restart pc, change language. please let me know if you have thoughts. THX~
  • Are these PDFs all from the same source? That's not a normal error.

Can you send a couple of these PDFs to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread?
  • They are not coming from same source.
    The most weird thing is they can be opened both using adobe reader and zotero web, but not software...
    I will send you later. THX
  • We’d also want to see a Report ID.
  • report ID:547054511
  • [JavaScript Error: "Error: Worker 'import' failed: {"existingAnnotations":[],"error":"{\"message\":\"Invalid PDF structure.\",\"name\":\"InvalidPDFException\"}"}" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/pdfWorker/manager.js" line: 283}]
    We still need the files.
  • It turns out to be the confidential software on my work laptop which locks files synced from online but not those downloaded newly. I think I might need to re-upload all those files. THX
  • I am having a very similar issue.
    I have been working for years on Mendeley and now wanted to switch to Zotero.
    I imported my Mendeley library to Zotero, and most of it worked well. However, a major issue is that the PDFs and (many) associated annotations, for some books, are not available in Zotero, and I get a similar error message. When double-clicking on the item to open it, I get a message "Invalid or corrupted PDF file", with More Information showing "PDF.js v2.8.0 (build: fdde957) Message: Invalid PDF structure.
    Is there a solution for this? Otherwise I may need to stay on Mendeley, as there are way too many annotations and highlights in those books to start all over again...
    Thank you.
  • @davbauman And if you open those PDF files with another PDF viewer, they are fine? If so please send an example PDF to support@zotero.org also including a link to this thread.
  • Thanks Martynas. I could solve the problem by restarting from scratch the syncing between Mendeley and Zotero. I guess something went wrong in that process the first time I tried it.