Zotero copies metadata from a different file when importing PDF

I import a PDF report (File A) which has some metadata but not enough to fill out an entire reference. (If anyone wants to try, it is the American Lung Association State of Tobacco Control Report 2022.) The metadata for the downloaded file has the correct title, author, and keywords. I generated an error report from one of my Zotero sessions where I tried it again: 1745068442

I have all of the file handling options under Preferences > General checked on. Instead of importing the metadata from this file, it copies all the reference data from a citation I downloaded earlier today (File B). For whatever it's worth, here is the DOI for File B: 10.15585/mmwr.mm7140a3. Zotero also introduces errors that are not in the citation for File B, such as broken HTML tags for italicizing the title, and renames the PDF for File A, which it did not do for File B until I requested it from the context menu. So it automatically creates a lot of individual issues for me to correct.

I have had this issue repeatedly even after switching browsers, restarting and updating both Zotero and the browsers, and using either the browser connectors or manually importing a file to store. I also tried downloading a random citation from PubMed to see if Zotero kept just copying the most recent citation-- but it always goes back to the metadata for File B. I downloaded File B hours before File A. All of the content under File B-- both metadata and the actual PDF-- are correct.
  • And does this just happen for that particular report or for all types of PDFs?
  • For that specific PDF, the citation isn't unrelated -- it's the first item cited and Zotero mistakenly takes the DOI to be for the PDF. That's not great, but it should be pretty rare?
  • Certainly not common but not particularly rare when PDF files are one or two pages, the PDF doesn't have its own DOI, and there are prominent DOIs in the reference list.

This occurs particularly in journal article html displays where the article itself doesn't have a DOI but cites references with DOIs. I don't think I've ever seen this with a journal article icon for Zotero import. However, it is fairly common to get the folder icon listing without the hosting article being among the options listed.

If it would be helpful, I can begin a listing of journals and URLs where this happens.