Integration of word document with its footnotes into zotero.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am a firm user of Zotero program. Its quite a convenient and useful program for academic purposes. Previously, I used Mendeley, but the current program seems to be more flexible in terms of entering citations and footnotes.

However, right now I face a problem. Several days ago, I sent the first part of my thesis document to my professor to check it and receive it from him along with some edits and suggestions. In this revised version, that he sent to me, I cannot know to edit the footnotes or add a new footnote to the existing collection.

What should I do? How should I solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.
  • @SaffatIslam, it sounds like you've sent your professor an editable word document and he either edited some of the Zotero citations directly or saved it in a format that has broken the link between the Zotero citations and your library (this can happen when people have different versions of Word, for instance). This is hard to solve except by putting the versions side by side and making the requested updates and edits in the original.

I have had this occasionally with coauthors, who I have mostly managed to convince that it's a good idea for them to also install Zotero, or if not, to hold off editing citation fields directly. If that is out of the question I am afraid that you'll have to implement the prof's suggestions in your own originals always. It's a bit similar to getting your profs comments on a paper version; indeed you might consider sending him a PDF or a version with Zotero citations unlinked.