Collections pane jumping after recent updates

I have a large list of subfolders in my collections pane and often want to add a reference to multiple subfolders. After the recent updates, the collections pane now jumps up to the parent folder where I have placed the reference after I click and drag it into a subfolder. This is annoying because as I'm scrolling through my list and adding the reference to multiple subfolders, I often must scroll back down each time to find the right subfolder, rather than working through the list. I don't remember having this issue before the recent updates!

Thank you!
  • To add to this. It only seems to do the above when adding to a group library, not for my main library.
  • edited May 8, 2022
    Also recently have exactly the same issue and it gets very annoying when you have a long index of sub-collections. Using Zotero 6.0.6. Wonder if related to the "Keyboard navigation in Collections pane in Zotero 6" bug that still persists in my 6.0.6 version.
  • I keep having this same issue.
  • Just to confirm still issue for me on v6.0.8. Very frustrating when dragging an item to display in more than one group. There is an "add to collection" right click menu item but does not work to add to collections in other Groups.
  • If you're experiencing this, can you make a screen recording, upload it somewhere (Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.), and provide a link here, or email it to us at support@zotero.org with a link to this thread? Also please provide a Report ID.
  • I use Zotero almost every day. But since last post here, unfortunately each time I get frustrated enough with the Collection list jumping around and try to do a video screen capture it stops jumping when I apply various screen capture tools. So the issue continues each day I use Zotero but it does not do it each time I try to drag & drop an item between collections. Its weird that it never does it with a screen capture tool running. But can't use that as a fix or I am generating a massive volume of video capture files.

Hopefully someone else with this issue can get a screen capture to back up the issue status.
  • Do you use the Feeds feature in Zotero?
  • I use Feedbro extension in Firefox and the Zotero Firefox plugin to save to Zotero.
    - Zotero does have a good feed system but I found more functionality in Feedbro Firefox Extension feeds display options for super-fast review of feeds and feed general management as well as tools for interaction with Firefox news article displays with Firefox extensions for speeding the analysis and sorting of them like;
    -- Absolute Enable Right Click & Copy
    -- Autoplay no more
    -- Bypass Paywalls
    -- Copy Plain Text
    -- Enhancer for Youtube
    -- Foxytab
    -- Various security extensions
    -- pdf mage to overcome article saves where otherwise need to screenshot and copy images but Zotero will not sync them to online WebDav but will do so for pdfs)
    -- Simple Tab Groups
    -- Tranquilty Reader for cutting web page down to a core info display
    -- Transcript Downloader for Youtube transcripts

- Also did not want to overload my extensive Zotero Collections Display with about 100 feed displays. I have a primary collection that is stored locally and then Group Collections for each life interest realm. They all store locally but sync with my Cloud WebDav for Group sharing according to friends life-realm interests. I have about 75GB in Zotero.

In any case the articles I save to Zotero from Firefox are saved there first in one collection before dragging the item to related Collections or sub-Collections so the Collection menu table jumping would seem an independent issue but probably aggravated by size of my Collections.
  • I was just asking because feeds refreshing might be a cause of this. But if you're saying you don't have any feeds set up, it sounds like it's not that in your case.
  • Thanks for the thought. The refresh thought gave me a wild thought if the jumping could be generated by Zotero executing a sync to the WebDav? Will keep an eye out next time if sync happening at same time.
  • edited February 15, 2023
    Several times today the jumping occurred when trying to add item to another collection and looked across to top right to see it was syncing at the time. Once It was not syncing when I started but just as started dragging item to another collection sync started and it jumped again.

I used the stop icon to left the sync twirling icon to stop it but it starts again on its own. So went to Zotero preferences and turned off "Sync Automatically". Will see if that helps over next few days.
  • Re last post, appears the jumping collections menu does not occur if turn off automatic cloud storage syncing in settings.

Downside is you must remember to click the top right sync icon to keep syncing up to date. Zotero has a reminder if you are not syncing for a while that displays forcefully in red at the top of the standalone software so you will not forget to Sync. I appreciated that warning as I was forgetting to sync.

I assume but can not test that this issue applies to all cloud storage services or just mine via pCloud. I suspect it would be for any cloud storage syncing.

A Benefit of manual sync is you are more aware to check sync is not throwing up error messages such as because you add images to your notes which I found break the sync and confirmed somewhere in the Zotero guides or forum.
  • edited March 2, 2023
    I think the same has been happening to me within the last year. After I grab an item, I usually add it to additional relevant collections. A fraction of the time, the drag-and-drop action to additional collections results in a jump to the new collection. This is not helpful, of course. I haven't found a solid pattern for when it happens.

Here is a screenshot of how it sometimes jumps to the target, and sometimes it does not. The first and seventh moves result in the jump:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tn7mqehixr5z7lk/Screen-Recording.mov?dl=0

(Report ID: 723816200
    Working on Zotero 6.0.22 on a Mac OS 13.2 with a bunch of plugins installed)