OpenOffice plugin error: Firefox could not load the component...

I have been trying many suggestion made on this forum, but I can not get the OpenOffice plugin running on my system.

I am working with:
Ubuntu 9.04
OpenOffice 3.1.1
Firefox 3.5.3 / Zotero 2.0b7.1 / Zotero OOIntegration 3.0a2 / Java 1.6.0_16
I choose the following path for
Java URE Directory: file:///usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/
OpenOffice Executable Directory: file:///usr/bin/

The plugins installed fine in Firefox, I do see the Zotero Toolbar in OpenOffice, but when I try to add a citation, I get the message:

'Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.'

Any guess what I did wrong?
  • In addition to the info above, I just found out that in Open Office, the extension manager reeports that Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.0a1 is installed, while I used the 3.0a2 version in Firefox to automatically install the toolbar in OpenOffice.
    After a manual removal of the Zotero toolbar in OpenOffice using the extension manager, and a reinstall using the Firefox plugin, again OpenOffice reported that 3.0a1 has been installed.
    Just to let you know.
  • Same problem here. OpenOffice has a method to update extensions. I think it would have been better to utilize that function rather than to make Firefox update OpenOffice.
  • The OpenOffice Executable Directory should contain the "soffice" binary. That certainly isn't in /usr/bin by default on Ubuntu 9.04 (the extension should automatically pick up where it is if you click the "Detect OpenOffice Paths" button, at least if you've installed everything using apt-get from the official repository). It would also help troubleshoot if you could report what's inside the pink rectangle at this page

The version of the extension in OpenOffice should be 3.0a1. It contains only a very small stub to call code in Firefox, and we didn't update it with 3.0a2. In the future, we will probably just update this to 3.0 and leave it there.
  • I'm using Java 1.6.0_0 from Sun Microsystems, Inc. OS is Ubuntu Linux 9.04.
  • edited September 19, 2009
    mp1, that sounds right. Can you post an error ID? Also, under about:plugins, do you see "Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_16" (and not "IcedTea Java Web Browser Plugin").
  • I am using Firefox 3.5 and Openoffice 3 in Vista and have the same problem. I have tied to set the Java path to ..../Java/JRE/bin as well as .../Java/jre1.6.0_05/bin
    Have installed fresh and reinstalled from Firefox add-on manager. The toolbar installs but when I click any button I get

'Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.
  • @Simon: My error ID is 1674828994. about:plugins reports that I have both "Java(TM) Plug-in 1.6.0_16" and IcedTea installed. I tried disabling the IcedTea plugin but it disabled Java with it. When I re-enabled Java, it re-enabled IcedTea as well.
  • mp1, try removing the icedtea6-plugin package (sudo apt-get remove icedtea6-plugin in the console or via Synaptic).

smadhu, does the Java tester work for you?
  • Simon, I ran the command and restarted Firefox and Zotero is working properly with OpenOffice now. Thanks for your help.
  • Java tester indicates that I have Java Version: 1.6.0_13 from Sun Microsystems.
  • smadhu, have you tried opening the Zotero OpenOffice Integration preferences (in Tools->Add-ons->Extensions) and clicking the "Detect OpenOffice Paths" button? It should automatically detect the path to the Java URE directory and the soffice executable on a stock install. On Windows, the Java URE directory is usually located at

C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\URE\java

and the soffice executable directory is at

C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 3\program

(Replace "Program Files" with "Program Files (x86)" if you have a 64-bit version of Windows.)
  • Detect OpenOffice Paths does not work. It opens up a file selection dialog. After setting the Java URE path to .... \URE\java the toolbar buttons work. Thanks.
  • smadhu, what is the ...?
  • Simon
    I followed your last suggestion and it fixed the problem. It seems that in some configurations (Such as mine) detect openoffice paths does not work. Setting the "Java URE" is not intuitively apparent. Your explanation helped. Thank you!
  • Simon,
    thanks for your reply.
    The detect Open Office path option does not work on my (Ubuntu 9.04) system.
    I have used 'locate soffice.bin' to search for the executable and found that it is in the directory: /usr/lib/openoffice/program/ I have changed the Zotero integration Preferences to point to that directory now.

The pink rectangle in the Java Tester page says:
    Java Version 1.6.0_16 from Sun Microsystems Inc.

In other programs that use the Java executable I point to:
    /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/
    But using these settings, the Zotero-plugin still displays the message:

'Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.'

Apparently something is wrong with the reference to the Java directory?
  • It's not the JRE directory. It's the URE (UNO Runtime Environment) directory, A.K.A. the directory containing ridl.jar. The troubleshooting page has details on how to find it.
  • OK, still working (like Gerbert) with FF3.5.2 and getting the

Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.

error.

Have confirmed Sun Java plugin, and have set
    Java URE to

/usr/share/java/openoffice.ridl.jar

and there is a real file there, not a link:

cd /usr/share/java/openoffice
    rob@U8:/usr/share/java/openoffice$ ls -l ridl.jar
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 255398 2009-09-04 11:25 ridl.jar
    rob@U8:/usr/share/java/openoffice$

likewise have set soffice executable to

file:///usr/lib/openoffice/program

in Integration Preferences

because that's where the file really is:

cd /usr/lib/openoffice/program
    rob@U8:/usr/lib/openoffice/program$ ls -l soffice
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6045 2009-09-04 13:04 soffice
    rob@U8:/usr/lib/openoffice/program$

I am not sure what else I am doing wrong.
  • The URE directory should be the directory containing the ridl.jar file, not thae jar file itself.

If you're still having issues, try launching firefox from the command line (probably as firefox-3.5) and paste what you see when you click the Add Citation button in OpenOffice here.
  • http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8795?page=1

Thanks Simon,

You were right that the URE was mis-specified. Thanks for catching that.

So, with OO closed, I did it all again. Tools/Add-Ons/Zotero Integration/Preferences

with the following values:

file:///usr/share/java/openoffice/
    file:///usr//lib/openoffice/program

hit ReinstallOpenoffice components and the command line reports:

ERROR: There is no such extension deployed: org.Zotero.integration.openoffice

unopkg failed.

This does not (not surpisingly generate an error within Zotero that I can report)
    I suspect that any further observations are not helpful until we understand how/why unopkg failed.

Thanks, sorry if I am being thick-headed
  • That message is normal. Does the toolbar appear in OpenOffice?
  • Yes, toolbar is there, but first use of insert citation gives me:

Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed, then try again.

And now, for whatever reason, I have an "error starting zotero" which I do not have time to sort out.

I think it is time for lunch.
  • Restarted FF, Zotero provided the following error log:

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://browser/content/safebrowsing/sb-loader.js :: anonymous :: line 48" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "uncaught exception: Zotero storage password not provided"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'Error calling method on NPObject! [plugin exception: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException].' when calling method: [nsIFactory::createInstance]" nsresult: "0x8057001e (NS_ERROR_XPC_JS_THREW_STRING)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 127" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 127}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 127" data: no]" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js" line: 127}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'JavaScript component does not have a method named: "getCellValue"' when calling method: [nsITreeView::getCellValue]" nsresult: "0x80570030 (NS_ERROR_XPC_JSOBJECT_HAS_NO_FUNCTION_NAMED)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://global/content/bindings/tree.xml :: onxblmousedown :: line 975" data: no]" {file: "chrome://global/content/bindings/tree.xml" line: 975}]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'JavaScript component does not have a method named: "getCellValue"' when calling method: [nsITreeView::getCellValue]" nsresult: "0x80570030 (NS_ERROR_XPC_JSOBJECT_HAS_NO_FUNCTION_NAMED)" location: "" data: no]"]

[JavaScript Error: "[Exception... "'JavaScript component does not have a method named: "getCellValue"' when calling method: [nsITreeView::getCellValue]" nsresult: "0x80570030 (NS_ERROR_XPC_JSOBJECT_HAS_NO_FUNCTION_NAMED)" location: "" data: no]"]

and reference:

• suffering from the same or closely related problem...

Using ubuntu lJaunty, have the latest zotero plugins installed and managed to get through manually defining the paths like above..

When attempt to insert a reference in a clean document, I get the following in the error console:
    <code>
    Error: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE) [nsIJSCID.getService]" nsresult: "0x80570016 (NS_ERROR_XPC_GS_RETURNED_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js :: execCommand :: line 127" data: no]
    Source File: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/integration.js
    Line: 127
    </code>

Clicking "set documents preferences renders a popup window in firefox stating: "Zotero experienced an error updating your document"

while the error console provides :
    <code>
    Error: this.javaObj is undefined
    Source File: file:///home/username/.mozilla/firefox-3.5/profilecode.default/extensions/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroOpenOfficeIntegration.js
    Line: 176
    </code>
    As I am handing in my thesis in 3 days this is a major crisis for me... if this is difficult to fix, perhaps someone knowledgeable may provide a way for me to revert to the 2.0 beta plugin for openoffice which was working fine...

on a related note.. you might want to consider a mechanism for users to prevent autoupdating the plugins at critical times..

I hope someone will be able to help me out... I have been an big fan since I found your product 3 years ago, and this is the first time I'm completely stumped as far as figuring out a solution myself.
    Big kudos for the work. Hope you can help me :)
  • 1... Don't panic. Focus on everything else.
    2....if no fix by submission date, steal Windows machine for the final Pdf. Everything works under windows...
    3...see #1
  • Salisea

Thank you for the attempt to help... but i haven't booted a windows system for 4 years and I see no need to start trying to set up a new environment.

this worked beautifully for that last three years until the latest upgrade.. surely someone will be able to help us fix what must be seem as a major regression?

The error itself seems simple enough... the java object needed does not initialise properly... but i am not a developer, so I have no idea how to fix.

Someone on staff? please?
  • edited September 27, 2009
    found the issue... sorry for the ranting...

Something had gone wrong during the install...

I had to use the path /usr/lib/ure/share/java/ for the ure in order to make it work..

in any case, this answers the question of what is causing the XPCOM errors... something didn't install right...

i'm back to being a happy user now :)
  • Hello fabi,
    Thanks, that works for me with this :
    URO : file:///usr/lib/ure/share/java/
    soffice : file:///usr/lib/openoffice/program/
    Regards,
    Thibaud.
  • I'm getting the same error message as the OP, using the auto-detected paths with Firefox 3.0.14 on Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex 64-bit. Zotero 2.0b7.4, Zotero OO.org Integration 3.0a5, Sun Java 1.6.0_0 64-bit (but using IcedTea plugin in Firefox, since Sun does not provide a 64-bit plugin.)

Could it be the mismatch in JREs?
  • I solved the problem removing the icedtea6-plugin package (sudo apt-get remove icedtea6-plugin) by the console, you can try also with Synaptic.
    Thanks Simon!
  • I have the same problem :

I use these paths
    URO : file:///usr/lib/ure/share/java/
    soffice : file:///usr/lib/openoffice/program/

I use Firefox 3.6.3 on Ubuntu 10.04 64bits, Zotero 2.0.3 and Zotero Oo integration 3.0a7 and I use Java sun 1.6.0_18

Could you help me?