Issues with Scopus

When using Scopus via my library (ezproxy connection), I am unable to use the Zotero connector. I can sometimes get it to grab a single item, but if I use the connector with a results list and capture even as few as ten items in the same attempt, it blocks me. On my most recent attempt. I got it to allow me 1 item, then tried for 10 and was denied.

Report ID: 878663485

Thanks for any help you can provide!
  • Thanks I can reproduce this when getting more than ~5 items at once.

@dstillman @AbeJellinek -- do you have any thoughts on how to make this slightly less likely -- I did some crude experiments with building 1000ms waits into the requests and that seemed to make it slightly better, though not by a lot. Also, it looks like we're sending additional requests after getting a 429 returned?
  • We have a new (not-yet-documented) async request functions that we could try switching over to. Given how processDocuments() works, I suspect even with any delays you put in it's still sending all of the RIS requests at once. But with the new functions we can actually serialize the requests, with delays in between.

We don't currently do anything automatic for 429 in translators, but we could look into adding automatic backoff (and Retry-After observance) for that. (Easy to add an automatic retry to the request functions. A little harder to block other, non-serialized requests that the translator might make for the same domain. That will probably become less common with async code, so might not be worth it.)
  • Great! If you or Abe would be willing to implement the request function for Scopus or any other translator, that'd be super helpful. I'm a bit shaky still with the async functions & it'd take me a while to get this right.
  • @hilary.kraus.uconn: This should be fixed, or at least a little better - we've added a 500 ms delay between item fetches. Your Zotero Connector should auto-update within 24 hours, or you can update manually by clicking Update Translators in the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences.
  • TY! Sorry I missed your reply!