remote storage location

Can you add the ability to store my collection on a remote location? For instance via ftp or http. It would be nice since I work on multiple computers for my editing and I would like to reuse the items. I have found that when I choose to export/import, it doesn't remember them properly.
  • Most operating systems have some way of using a network drive or mount point with the native file system tools. You don't specify the system or systems you use, so I can't readily advise on what to do. Remote collections do work, but they're not officially supported.
  • I think integration with box.ne via their openbox api would be a Good Thing.

Box.net currently has plugins for MS Office, Open Office, and Acrobat (plus more) and one for Firefox bookmark synching ( http://www.box.net/apps ).

Files stored on box.net can be edited using online applications ( http://www.box.net/info/document-editing )

tony
  • Hiya,

Could you expand a bit on the "Remote collections do work, but they're not officially supported" bit of the message?

Is this a matter of simply backing up the appropriate folder to a remote server somewhere? Or is there some other way of doing this?

yours,

Erik
  • It would be nice to have both remote file storage and webserver for the Zotero bib.
  • I managed to miss Erik's message
    Could you expand a bit on the "Remote collections do work, but they're not officially supported" bit of the message?

Is this a matter of simply backing up the appropriate folder to a remote server somewhere? Or is there some other way of doing this?
    There is another way of doing it. You are able to keep your database on a network drive (windows file share, WebDAV, sshfs, whatever). Again, it isn't supported & performance is not as good as a local database.

and lboccia:
    Remote file storage works (but is unsupported) today & the developers have said several times that a web server is coming.
  • I work on multiples computer too and so i have the same problem.

I happy that is going to be available a solution soon
  • A colleague pointed me towards a program called Dropbox - which creates a folder on your computer that it syncs with every other computer you use. There is 2.25 gb free space so I dropped my zotero library into the dropbox and pointed Firefox at it. It took about 15 minutes the first time to synchronise everything, now it simply works absolutely no issues.

www.getdropbox.com
  • Note that if you use this solution it is very important that you never have Firefox open on two of your computers at the same time. If you do it will almost certainly corrupt your database.

A safer option with dropbox (assuming you are using Zotero 2.0) is to synchronise your database (data only, not attachments) with the Zotero server, and keep only the storage folder on dropbox, using symlinks/junction links pointing towards the dropbox folder from where Zotero is expecting the storage folders to be. This solution is described here. Of course this is only necessary if you want attachment syncing in addition to bibliographic data syncing - otherwise just use the Zotero server sync.

The "official" way to sync attachments is to use either WebDAV or Zotero File Storage for file sync (Zotero File Storage is free up to 100MB). For webDAV service recommendations see this thread.