[Feature Request] Two-factor authentication for WebDAV (and Zotero) storage

Dear Zotero-Team,

in times of OpenID and FIDO, this request may be of interest beyond my own setup.

It appears that Zotero is currently not supporting any type of two-factor authentication.
This becomes problematic when syncing files via WebDAV which itself is secured with 2FA (TOTP) - then, the only solution appears to be turning off 2FA which is not a very feasible workaround.

Beyond that, even when working with Zotero storage (references and files), it'd be nice to be able to further secure Zotero's space in the context of IP-related notes and personal attachments.
  • This becomes problematic when syncing files via WebDAV which itself is secured with 2FA (TOTP)
    You would use an app password for that. WebDAV itself just uses HTTP authentication.
  • Yes, Thank You for specifying.

Here, I wanted to keep this request as general as possible.
    In my case, we are talking Nextcloud and App Passwords, just like you said.
  • Right, but the point of an app-specific password is that you use it as a regular password for systems and protocols that don't support 2FA. That includes WebDAV. There's nothing here for us to "support" in terms of 2FA and WebDAV.
  • ah, my bad, sorry!
    ...it would still be interesting for the Zotero-Space, itself, no?

For my part, the plan is to switch to Zotero Space - hopefully soon via my university's registration (still pending) or individually if that is not going to come.