citing dissertations

There is no way to properly cite dissertations Chicago style with Zotero. Can this be added to / corrected in Zotero? A dissertation should be cited in notes and bibliography like this, according to the Chicago Manual of Style:

1. Ilya Vedrashko, “Advertising in Computer Games” (PhD diss., MIT, 2006), 59, http://cms.mit.edu/research/theses/IlyaVedrashko2006.pdf

Choi, Mihwa. “Contesting Imaginaires in Death Rituals during the Northern Song Dynasty.” PhD diss., University of Chicago, 2008. ProQuest (AAT 3300426).

Zotero only has a Theses category and does not cite dissertations in this precise way. It does this, which is incorrect:

1. Ilya Vedrashko, “Advertising in Computer Games” (Cambridge, MA: MIT, 2006).
  • I'm on this - the correct category in Zotero is thesis and you should put "PhD diss." in the type field - that will still give you the location and it won't put the proquest catalogue at the end, but it gets you closer. The URL is already displayed in CMoS.
  • OK, this is done now in the three major CMoS styles. They cite dissertations correctly without location. They also add the database and number (e.g. ATT 3300426) if you put them in the "Archive" and "Loc. in Archive" fields respectively.
  • edited July 24, 2021
    This was an issue 10 years from now. But this issue still remains unresolved. "Thesis" is from Master degree, but "Dissertation" is from Doctor degree. So they should be separated. But Zotero does not have "Dissertation" form.
  • edited July 24, 2021
    No. A dissertation is a type of thesis. All unpublished theses, regardless of degree, require the same metadata. There is no reason to split this into multiple item types and the above works fine.

Edit: E.g. from Webster:
    Thesis: a dissertation embodying results of original research and especially substantiating a specific view
    especially : one written by a candidate for an academic degree
  • Is there any way to create a section from the thesis (PhD Diss.)? I can't find such an option.
  • can you say more about what you're trying to do?
  • I would like to cite a chapter of the thesis. Is it possible? Or should I just use pp. numbers?
  • You'd cite the whole thesis and then specify chapter (instead of page number) in the Word add-on https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#customizing_cites