"Locate..." button in the File Not Found dialog not working

The "Locate..." button on this dialog is supposed to bring a window where I can locate the path the missing file. It doesn't in Ubuntu 18.04. Clicking the button closes the dialog but does nothing.

This seems like a bug.
  • Can you provide a Report ID?
  • It doesn't seem to be identified as an error by Zotero. It just closes the dialog and nothing happens.
  • We still need a Report ID.
  • Ok, 382617454
  • Do you get a filepicker in any context? E.g., if you use Store Copy of File or File → Import?

If so, do you get it with the Locate button for other files? If you add a new file and then use Show File and delete the file, does the Locate button work then?
  • Yes, I get a file picker in other contexts, e.g.: if I right click on an item and select "Add Attachment -> Attach Stored Copy of File".

The "Locate" button works correctly for other files when I manually rename the file.

Could the problem be related to the file name being too large in some cases?
  • [JavaScript Error: "Unix error 36 during operation stat on file /home/[…]/Zotero/storage/C37I2EBT/(C[…].pdf (File name too long)" {file: "(unknown module)" line: 0}]
    I assume you're asking because of this. Does this appear in the error report when you try to use the Locate button, or at another time?
  • I'm not sure. But the item for which "Locate" fails has a file with a long name which appears in one of these errors.
  • Any news about this? I am also getting this error when I tried to change from Dropbox to Google Drive (I use zotfile)
  • @NEGU93: Which error? Can you provide a Report ID?

When Locate doesn't work on Linux, it's generally due to running a third-party package of Zotero that's sandboxed.
  • I am having this same problem. Report ID: 346515496.
  • Was this ever resolved? I am having the same issue.
  • edited October 15, 2022
    Zotero 6.0.15 on windows 10, and this problem is still there. Any workarounds ?

I disabled every add-ons and the problem is still there.
  • edited October 15, 2022
    If you were using a linked attachment base directory on another computer, make sure you've set it correctly on this computer.