Word plugin communication error with Flock

I upgraded to Zotero 2.07b.1 and also updated the Word plugin by installing the new Firefox addon. Upon reopening my document, I was unable to add any citations, receiving the following error message:

---------------------------
Word could not communicate with Zotero. Please ensure Firefox is running and try again.
---------------------------

Despite my troubleshooting efforts, I was unable to get Zotero to communicate with the browser. It occurred to me that this new version might require Firefox (given that I was using Flock), so I downloaded and installed Firefox 3.5, synced my Zotero library, and after upgrading the document (a step that I never got to with Flock), I was once again able to add citations.

Solution: work on the document with Firefox open (which is what most Zotero users do, I assume).

Even now, Word does not communicate with Zotero if only Flock is open. Presumably this will be fixed either in a future version of Zotero (or Flock).
  • I am having the same problem. My network admins don't allow Firefox, but Flock will work. I have the Word 2003 toolbar now appearing, but it won't connect to my Flock zotero database.
  • edited September 22, 2009
    If you're getting the message above, you have an outdated version of the Word plugin installed. The new plugins that work with Zotero 2.0b7 and later don't display that error.

http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation#word_processor_plugins_for_zotero_2.0_beta
  • Hmmm. I have the 3.0a1 plugin, 2.0b7.1 zotero plugin, and Word 2003 running on a Windows XP machine. Could it be that the plugin is looking Flock or Firefox in a typical installation location, like C:\Program Files]\..., because Flock installed on my machine under my network profile, not in Program Files. Just a thought.

Darrell
  • No, it means you have an old version of the plugin still installed in Word.

You can try the manual installation instructions.
  • Dan, I just installed this on a brand new machine today, and I downloaded the newest plugin today as well. The zotero.dot file that I have was created by Simon Kornblith on Aug 25, 2009. I did the manual install and still have the same issue. It isn't a major problem - I use zotero on my Mac usually but this is my work PC and it would be nice to be able to sync them up now.

Darrell
  • Sorry, my mistake: apparently the new WinWord plugin, unlike the MacWord plugin, does still display that message, though the underlying cause is completely different.

I'm not sure the new plugin has been tested with Flock. We'll take a look and see if we can make it work with Flock.
  • We've fixed this issue, and an updated version of the plug-in should be available sometime in the next 24 hours. Thanks for your help.
  • Thanks for being so responsive!
  • Hello Simon you seem to be aware of OpenOffice Integration 3.0a2 problems.. I have OpenOffice, XP

I I Have Zotero 2.0b7.1 and just Downloaded Zotero OpenOffice Integration 3.0a2, and now i cant open Firefox at all. it just freezes while it pretends to be installing the Integration. The Error Report just says this

C:\DOCUME~1\Enrique\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERf776.dir00\firefox.exe.mdmp

C:\DOCUME~1\Enrique\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERf776.dir00\appcompat.txt

i dont know what else to do, have looked at the forums, and didnt find how to post a new comment. Should the Updated version of the plugin fix it?
  • thestudentspirit, don't hijack other people's threads. Start a new one and I'll do my best to help.
  • Hey Simon,

sorry havent signed up to many forums like this, so dont know the protocol or conventions.
    Apologies if that had been a hijack.
    Have just been very confused for the past few hours, and didnt find solutions on the forums, since this seems to be a very recent problem.

Started a forum called "OpenOffice Integration 3.0a2 freezes / crashes Firefox"
    thanks for the time youve put into this, and all the comments, i always wondered who writes up all the solutions, if you dont get paid, then i am amazed at these forums of exchange based on solidarity
  • edited September 23, 2009
    WinWord Integration 2.0a2 is now out. It should fix Flock compatibility.