WebDAV problem with 2.0b7.1

Hey,

Since I upgraded to 2.0b7.1 the WebDAV is working again but it's not able to identify the already existing files on the server with my local files. It made me go through a conflict resolution procedure for all of my files.

Dave.
  • edited September 17, 2009
    Did you by any chance switch back and forth between 'WebDAV' and 'Zotero' for your personal library syncing?

If not, is there anything else that you did/reset/etc. since upgrading?
  • No. The one thing I did was disable WebDAV for a day or so (as you guys suggested) due to the bug in the first beta 7 release. I then re-enabled it when I installed b7.1

Dave.
  • actually, WebDAV syncing is not working for me at all since I upgraded. a 2.0b6.5 install on windows connects and syncs perfectly fine, but the b7.1 install on a Mac doesn't. I'm going to try switching to Zotero storage instead, and see what happens..
    Verified on upgrading 2.0b6.5 on Windows to 2.0b7.1 - a previously working sync setup now fails with an error: "the specified location is not a valid WebDAV URL" (same as the mac install). I'm guessing this means that the error is cross-platform and lies within Zotero

File sync with the Zotero servers works for me, though.
  • Arvind: http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/8770/not-a-valid-webdav-url-20b71/#Item_9
    ah, must have missed that, thanks.

update: i tried the suggestion in that thread, and it works.
  • I have a bug report id now: 386318449

Today it's claiming that:
    Unexpected status code 401 caching authentication credentials in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.WebDAV.getLastSyncTime()

Dave.
  • Hi, seems I have the same problem as describe by daveh, after upgraded to b7.1:

Unexpected status code 401 caching authentication credentials in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.WebDAV.getLastSyncTime()

Actually I'm using the trunk version (2.0b7 r5170). Anyway the problem still occur, on all my 3 machines.
  • daveh and bhy: Could you generate debug output for the sync attempt from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, submit it to the server, and post the Debug ID here? Thanks.
  • Hi Dan,
    I submitted the debug info to the server, "The Debug ID is D1013680398."

In the debug log you can see a line showing "Unexpected status code 0 caching authentication credentials in Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.WebDAV.getLastSyncTime()"
  • Oh, well, status code 0 isn't the same as status code 401. Did you receive both?

For status code 0, load the WebDAV URL in Firefox. If it has a self-signed certificate, you'll need to accept it through Firefox before you can use it through Zotero. Otherwise, check your system clock.
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks... seems it is a problem of my DAV server. Now it works after my restarted my server.
  • Dan,

I had a similar problem with the security on my webdav server causing the "Zotero.Sync.Storage.Session.WebDAV.getLastSyncTime()" error.

But if you're still interested the original problem remains. I've just gotten back to my office computer after a week long absence and it also had lost the timecoding or whatever you use to identify local file copies with those on the webdav server. So I had to go through a complete sync (along with conflict resolution again) and I was careful last week to keep the copies on the server as the 'correct' versions not my local copies in order to avoid this problem.

For what it's worth the debug id is 265120568. But I can only see mention of the authorisation error there.

Thanks for all of your help. But I suspect this is one of those occasions where I'll just have to go through conflict resolution on each of my computers until they're all back up to date.

Dave.
  • That's a Report ID, but if you can log debug output from the Advanced pane of the preferences for the sync that results in the conflict on all the files, submit the output to the server, and post the Debug ID here, we might be able to figure out what's going wrong.
  • I just posted a response over on another thread on the same topic.

Zotero should really give a better error message where there are certificate issues. The modification time thing really seems to throw people off.
  • Re: the "status code 0" error, Zotero 2.0b7.2 now displays a more helpful message if there's a problem with the SSL certificate.
  • I'm afraid I had to reinstall zotero and make a lot of changes (for reasons unrelated to zotero) so I don't think there's any point in me doing the debug now as there are no further problems.

Thanks anyway,
    Dave.