[Solved] Is there a way to change the name of the pdf tabs to be the first authors name and year.

edited April 4, 2023
Often I identify items by their first author and year; I don't remember the full titles of the article. Therefore, when I have lots of pdfs open in Zotero I cannot identify the pdfs easily. Is there an option to change the pdf tab title automatically to the author + year? If not, do others think this would be a good plugin idea or feature request?
  • Not currently, but it's a common request and is planned.
  • Myself and many of my colleagues would appreciate the option to change the pdf tab title to author & year.
  • Glad to hear this is planned. It would be helpful to me as well.
    Perhaps some way to pick what is shown on the tab. Could be a preferences thing.
  • Thanks for letting me know, dstillman. Looking forward to it.
  • Yes, this would be a very helpful feature, and I hope it can be implemented soon.
  • In Zotero 6.0.22, available now, you can choose to use "Creator - Year - Title" or "Filename" for PDF tab titles instead of "Title - Creator - Year". This can be configured from the General pane of the Zotero settings.
  • Amazing! That is so great.

I just changed the setting. I noticed it didn't change the names of the PDFs I already had open. I thought maybe it didn't work. I then opened a new PDF and realised it worked.

I wonder if it is worthwhile mentioning to users that the name change will not impact currently opened PDFs?

Not a big deal though. Thank you again :)
  • It works for me, also on already opened tabs
  • edited February 24, 2023
    It will change open tabs you focus and I think maybe other tabs that are still in memory (i.e., 2 to 4 recently opened tabs). It won't change other background tabs until you focus them, because fixing that would've been complicated and it didn't seem worth fixing for something people won't be changing often.
  • May I suggest adding to the list of tab identier options some variants using the field "Short Title" instead of Title?
  • +1 for the "Short Title" option