Cleaning duplicates - selecting Master by folder location

Hello,

I am cleaning a Zotero library that has +3,000 files marked as duplicates. I'd like to keep one version of each file, and I'd like this version to be defined by which folder the file is in.

Specifically, I have 7 "Core" folders with papers that I'd like to reference over again for different projects. Then I have about 10 folders for different projects. The Core folder files should be the Master references, and if the same paper is referenced in one of the project folders, it should be the same as in the Core folder (in particular, it should have the same Cite key).

However, on the right pane of the duplicates tab, when I click on a particular file, I can see the title, journal, etc. but not which folder this file is in or the cite key.

So, for merging duplicates, is there any way I can either (a) see which folder a file is in and its cite key or (b) systematically define which file should be the Master based on folder location? For example, "if in Folder X, define as Master"

If you have any other tips for recognizing duplicates and cleaning, please feel free to let me know!

Thank you in advance
  • I don't think b is possible, but you could use a (temporary) colored tag for the Core folders (just select all items in those folders & assign the tag using its numeric key) to quickly spot them in Duplicates view, i.e. get to a)

https://www.zotero.org/support/collections_and_tags#colored_tags
  • Thank you, @adamsmith ! I now can see the colored tag in the center pane where it lists the titles, but on the right pane where I have to "Choose the version of the item to use as the master item," I don't know which version corresponds to the tagged entry.

Is there a way to e.g. show the "tag" field in this right pane as well? Or a different way to know which entry corresponds to which version?

Let me know if this is clear.
  • Ah it looks like the listing order is the same. That is, if a duplicate is listed first in the center pane, it is also the version that is listed first in the right pane
  • Ah, I actually thought it'd highlight the currently selected master in the middle column, but that's not the case. You can use the Date Added, though -- add it as a column in the middle panel by right-clicking on the column headers and selecting it. Not as easy as it could be, but unless many of the items where added on the same data and you have to look at the timestamp, should still be pretty quick. (No way to see the tags on the right while merging, though, no).
  • Ah it looks like the listing order is the same. That is, if a duplicate is listed first in the center pane, it is also the version that is listed first in the right pane
    That's actually not the case: the versions on the right are always listed chronologically by date added, whereas you can sort by whichever column(s) you want in the middle.