Odd Folder Behavior…

I know that items (articles?) are stored in a collection (orange box icon)… And then instantiations of that article can be added to sub-collections (blue folder icon). When I delete an instantiation from a sub-collection, the original item remains in the collection. To well-and-truly remove an item, I have to move the item to "trash". When I open the collection / click on the orange box icon, I see ALL the articles that reside within it, regardless of where they reside in the file folder structure.

That behavior is a little odd, but it's what I expect after reading the documentation.

For the sake of describing the problem, here's the organization of my collection:

COLLECTION Z
- Sub-collection A
-- Article A1
-- Article A2
-- Article A3
- Sub-collection B
-- Article B1
-- Article B2
-- Article B3
-- Sub-collection BB
--- Article BB1
--- Article BB2
--- Article BB3
- Sub-collection C
-- Article C1
-- Article C2
-- Article C3
- "Loose" article Z.1
- "Loose" article Z.2
- "Loose" article Z.3
- "Loose" article Z.4
- "Loose" article Z.5

This collection (Z) contains four sub-collections (A, B, BB, C) and 17 articles.

Because the sidebar looks like a regular file directory from my operating system, I expect it to behave like a file directory… Meaning, when I click on the orange box icon for COLLECTION Z, I should see the following show up in the main Zotero window pane:

- "Loose" article Z.1
- "Loose" article Z.2
- "Loose" article Z.3
- "Loose" article Z.4
- "Loose" article Z.5

But that's not the case for me… I literally see ALL the articles:

- Article A1
- Article A2
- Article A3
- Article B1
- Article B2
- Article B3
- Article BB1
- Article BB2
- Article BB3
- Article C1
- Article C2
- Article C3
- "Loose" article Z.1
- "Loose" article Z.2
- "Loose" article Z.3
- "Loose" article Z.4
- "Loose" article Z.5

Now… That may be a reflection of the unique status of collections in Zotero… BUT… The same behavior occurs when I click on the blue folder icon for Sub-collection B.

I would expect to see just the articles in the folder:

- Article B1
- Article B2
- Article B3

But instead of that, I see the articles in the folder and ALL SUB FOLDERS:

- Article B1
- Article B2
- Article B3
- Article BB1
- Article BB2
- Article BB3

I would dismiss this as just Zotero being Zotero… But my coworker (who's part of our shared library) only sees the expected behavior.

Thoughts?