How about to extract the reference list from a paper and show in a container on the side column?

When I am reading a paper, I always jump to the reference section at the end of the paper, checking what the citation number referencing to, and come back the the citation position and keep on reading.

It will be helpful if a customized refernce container could be added to the right-side column, which shows the full reference list automatically extracted from the paper.
  • I'd love this. My current workaround is that I make a rectangular selection in the reference section which at least allows me to jump there quickly through the annotation pane.
  • edited September 8, 2022
    The Cita add-on from @diegodlh goes some of the way to doing this.
    https://github.com/diegodlh/zotero-cita

But it hasn't quite got there yet. It does create a Citations tab in Zotero's right pane, which can be populated with a paper's citations/reference list in several ways. But it is dependent on the current relatively poor state of other tools for retrieving a PDF paper's reference list metadata.

Crossref for example does contain reference lists for many papers; millions apparently, but that is not complete. On the plus side, Zotero already retrieves other more basic metadata from Crossref - so it would be good if Zotero could also retrieve the reference list when it's pulling metadata from there.

Current Cita documentation includes an example of how to use the Scholarcy Reference Extraction web app to parse a PDF paper and save its reference list to a RIS file. Cita can import that RIS file into the Citations pane (More\Import citations\Import from file). I have managed to get Scholarcy Reference Extraction to create an accurate RIS file for some PDF papers with more easily-parse-able reference lists, but it did very poorly with other PDFs.
    https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Wikidata:Zotero/Cita/Documentation#How_can_I_extract_citations_from_a_PDF_attachment?

Once references have been loaded into the Citations pane, it also shows which of those papers are already in your Library, and it can auto-create Related links to all of them if you want.

When it all works, it's a pretty amazing capability.