Alternate Bibliographic export formats

Hallo -- We are wondering how to export a selection of items to a bibliographic list that is defined by the date of publication (with most recent publication first, and so on)... Is this possible? Thanks! (Oh, and love the new iOS app!!) -- John
  • Try the APA (Curriculum Vitae) citation style
  • Thanks ... that seems to work, although it's a pity that some of the other citation formats don't also have a date-based option as well ... (I'm working in geosciences which typically don't use APA citation formats)...
  • It's easy to modify any style you want to do this. If you tell us 1-2 that you're interested in, we can tell you how.
  • Sure, definitely interested, I assume it is something done by editing an xml script or so?
  • yes (there's a UI tool, but for something as simple as this, you're almost certainly better of editing the CSL code, which is XML) -- this works about the same in every style, but it'd be helpful to have the most relevant for you since details can differ slightly.
  • But you do have instructions somewhere?
  • The general instructions for modifying styles are here: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step

You want to look at the sort section of the bibliography.

If you want detailed instructions, I really do want a style to start from.
  • I guess I would start with a more general format that we sometimes use: Chicago Manual 17th edition (full note) ... the other geoscience ones are more specific, but if I learn for Chicago, then I can implement for those as I go ... (appreciate your assistance!!
  • So the relevant section for sorting the bibliography in that style is this:

<sort>
    <key macro="contributors-sort"/>
    <key variable="title"/>
    <key variable="genre"/>
    <key variable="issued"/>
    </sort>

You'll just want to move the date to the top, so turn that into
    <sort>
    <key variable="issued"/>
    <key macro="contributors-sort"/>
    <key variable="title"/>
    <key variable="genre"/>
    </sort>

Generally putting <key variable="issued"/> should work for most styles.

Note the general instructions, especially about changing style title and ID, in the above-linked step-by-step
  • When uploading the edited csl file, as I don't want to over-write the original Chicago style, can I just rename the file, or do I need to change any fields in the csl so that I can identify this modified file?
  • See the general instructions: change the filename and the id
  • ah, yes, thnx!
  • Another issue -- this is ascending, and I see from the APA example, that descending required a huge coding effort (afaik)... is there a simple fix, though? Typically, folks like most recent to older ...
  • No, it's just <key variable="issued" sort="descending"/>
  • See the documentation here. It's literally used as the code example:

https://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html#sorting
  • Simple enough for a former coder from days long gone (ever heard of Fortran? ;-) -- & like ur handle, 'damnation'! thnx ...