Can't access zotero if sync is enabled. Report ID 724428888

With sync enabled I can open zotero and see my library items but then an error occurs if I try to click on any item and I can't see my library anymore. Zotero still allowed me to go to preferences and disable sync. Once I did that zotero seems to work normally. Report ID 724428888.

Thanks,

Hernán.
  • More details: I found that the error happens when file syncing is started, but works fine when syncing only with the zotero server. Thanks,

Hernán.
  • Can you generate debug output for a sync attempt (with file syncing re-enabled) from the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences, submit it to the server, and post the Debug ID here?

Thanks.
  • Here's the debug ID: D199631646. Thanks,

Hernán.
  • OK, a couple issues here. First, can you copy and paste the URL chrome://zotero/content/test/modtime.xul into your Firefox address bar and let us know if the window that pops up says PASS or FAIL?
  • It says PASS.
  • edited September 21, 2009
    OK, can you install the trunk XPI over your current version of Zotero and generate debug output for the sync attempt again? I've added some additional debugging info that should help us figure this out.

Make a backup of your Zotero data first, but don't worry about the warnings on that page—the trunk is about to be released as 2.0b7.2, so installing it shouldn't be a problem. You can (and should) switch back to 2.0b7.1 after generating the debug output.
  • OK. Debug ID is D947991015 with 2.0b7.5187.
  • Thanks. Anything particular about the file MQ6WETXG\gl003300.html within your data directory's storage directory? If you move that file, does the sync work? If not, can you provide another Debug ID?
  • That was a 0 bytes file. But moving it didn't solve the problem. New Debug ID: D1880487094.
  • That last debug output appears to only include output after the error. Can you try again?
  • Sorry. I hope this is better: D175132909. There were 826 lines before the error. The error consists of a message where library items are usually shown: "An error has occurred. Please restart Firefox. You can report this error by selecting 'Report Errors...' from the Actions (gear) menu."

I can still access the preferences window and the "Verify Server" button informs me that the server configuration is OK. I hope I'm not making any dumb mistakes. Thanks.
  • OK, this time it was NA49ZUTF\wd39r2a.html. Also a zero-byte file?
  • OK, I can reproduce the error with a zero-byte file. We'll fix this for 2.0b7.2. Thanks.
  • Excellent. Thank you for your hard work.
  • Just a follow-up. Deleting all htmls with 0 bytes fixed it and now file syncing is working. I've no idea why I had them.
  • ... but of course, that was short lived because it synced the 0 byte files from the server back into my computer, I think. I'll wait for the next version of zotero before enabling file syncing. Thanks again.