Rename linked files without moving them

Greetings!
I am new to Zotero, so I apologize if this has already been asked or if I am missing something. I did try to search for similar problems, but I am not that "fluent" in Zotero to understand them fully.

Recently I started using Zotero; before that, I was organizing all my PDFs in folders, manually renaming them.

1. I would like to link the existing PDF from my organized folder structure into Zotero (I use Ctrl+SHIFT and drag the PDF to link it to the Parent).
2. I would like to rename the linked PDF using the Parent metadata.
- I understand that this could be done in two ways: using ZotFile or changing the string in Zotero.

-- The Problem: --

1. When I use ZotFile, it only has two options "Rename and Move" and "Get Table of Contents".
- What I want is ONLY to rename, not to move anywhere. I have read that you can bypass that by leaving the option "Custom Location" folder blank. But when I do this, it renames only the PDF's name in Zotero but leaves the linked file with the original, jibberish name in the folder.

2. When I modify the string in Zotero, it does rename the file properly, without moving it, but I feel that renaming options are limited compared to ZotFile? Options like separating multiple authors' names with " ; " or truncating the subtitle.

Is there a more detailed way of modifying the Zotero string, or am I missing something in ZotFile? I am now at the moment when I do not know what I do not know, so any help would be appreciated :)

P.S. For example this entry:

Varela, Francisco J., and Jonathan Shear, eds. 2002. The View from Within: First-Person Approaches to the Study of Consciousness. Thorverton: Imprint Academic.

1. Zotfile renames to this, but not in the folder:

Varela;Shear [2002] - The View from Within - First-person Approaches to the Study of Consciousness.pdf

2. Zotero renames it to this, and in the folder:

Varela and Shear [2002] - The View from Within First-person Approaches to t.pdf

3. What I would like it to be is this:

Varela; Shear [2002] - The View from Within - First-Person Approaches to the Study of Consciousness

or simply

Varela; Shear [2002] - The View from Within
  • If you use ZotFile without a custom location specified, I think rename & move should work as you want, but test it out. Otherwise, using Zotero's built in functionality is your best bet. It's options are going to get expanded in the future, but not sure if that's more like next month or next year.
  • I have tested it. I said in 1.: "But when I do this, it renames only the PDF's name in Zotero but leaves the linked file with the original, jibberish name in the folder."
  • Sorry, overlooked that. That's broken in ZotFile then and I don't think it's likely to get fixed, at least not any time soon. You'd either have to content with what Zotero's own rename has to offer now or wait (again, without any guarantee of how long).
  • Ah, I understand. Thank you for your response and for elucidating the issue.