Understanding storage in Zotero

After hitting the cloud storage limit, I've worked out that I need to purge my cloud storage to make more space.

Can anyone help me with two simple related queries:

1. how do I upload specific files from my local storage to my cloud storage so I can access them anywhere (within the storage limit)?

2. how can I work out where Zotero is storing the files locally on my computer so that I can back them up externally?

Thanks
  • 1. You can't pick or prioritize individual files for cloud storage. If you want files synced, you need sufficient cloud storage to sync all of them.

2. The storage folder in the Zotero data directory: https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data (as noted on that page, it is very much recommended to just back-up the entire folder, and, indeed, your entire HD automatically rather than worrying about manual back-ups)
  • Great, thank you Adam. That's a shame about the individual file storage, but I'm sure I can work around that, and it's great to have so much functionality for free!
  • edited August 12, 2022
    And to be clear, you absolutely shouldn't purge your cloud storage in normal usage. That option in the storage settings — if that's what you're referring to — is specifically for use if you're the owner of group libraries and want to your reserve your storage space for those groups after disabling file syncing of your personal library.
  • edited August 12, 2022
    you absolutely shouldn't purge your cloud storage in normal usage
    Which you seem to have done… If you don't want to use file syncing at all, you should disable file syncing in the Sync preferences. Otherwise, you should use Reset File Sync History in the Sync → Reset pane of the preferences to force it to reupload your files, and add a storage subscription if you need more space.