Same year, same author: How to get Zotero to name it chronologically (a, b, c)?

I have a problem with several short newspaper articles by the same author that appeared on different dates within one year.

I don't manage to create the references in a way so that Zotero names the earliest one as a, then b, then c; instead, the naming seems to be totally random. Unfortunately, the sequence in time is of the issue here, so it's not all the same.

Based on which principle does the software add those letters? Any trick that might help? I tried to enter the full dates (dd mm yy) in the "date" field, but to no avail.

Thanks in advance for your help. I browsed the forum but didn't find threads that exactly match my problem.
  • Zotero assigns the suffixes based on the order of items in the bibliography, which in turn is defined by the citation style. Which are you using?
  • Chicago manual of Style 17th ed Author-Date.

I switched now to a custom style that my department uses and it seems as if the problem has vanished, but I'd still like to know where I can set these preferences.
  • This should just work in Chicago author-date (which sorts by author, then by the full date). What happens when you switch back to Chicago from the custom style?
  • switching back and forth and restarting both word and zotero produced the desired results. A bit of trial and error, but good to know that the full date entry seems to do the trick.

Thanks!

B.