a bug?

just found this problem, win10-64bit, word 2016, zotero 6.0.10

frequently some references are not correctly shown. for example, this reference "Olivares, R. I., Chen, C. & Wright, S. The thermal stability of molten lithium–sodium–potassium carbonate and the influence of additives on the melting point. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 134, 10.1115/1.4006895 (2012)"

if the citation style is Nature, it is correctly shown in the bibliography section, as:
x. Olivares, R. I., Chen, C. & Wright, S. The thermal stability of molten lithium–sodium–potassium carbonate and the influence of additives on the melting point. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 134, 10.1115/1.4006895 (2012)

if then you change the style to Science, it is wrongly shown as:
x. R. I. Olivares, C. Chen, S. Wright, J. Sol. Energy Eng., in press.

this has happened for many cited papers, but the reason is unclear
  • What happens if you cite this item in a new word document with Science style?
  • whether a new or old document, the same problem is always there.

the ref info is there, you can try whatever you can
  • even if you cite only this ref in a completely new doc
    just try it with the ref info
  • not just this ref, this happens for many refs. if you change the style, the ref info is then not correctly shown. this ref is only an example
  • so, silence means no way fixing that, right?
  • edited August 10, 2022
    Sorry, I had a hard time replicating this, but I think have now found the problem. You have 10.1115/1.4006895 in the Pages field, right? That causes weird behavior. Just removing it from pages entirely would fix the issue.
    If this happens to many items, how did all those DOIs get into Pages?

Edit: We'll still fix this on our end, but with appropriate data in Zotero, you should already get

R. I. Olivares, C. Chen, S. Wright, The Thermal Stability of Molten Lithium–Sodium–Potassium Carbonate and the Influence of Additives on the Melting Point. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering. 134 (2012), doi:10.1115/1.4006895.
  • good to learn that you have found the problem. as you may know, some journals should not have a page number, and in that case, doi should be listed after volume number.

hope you can fix this soon
  • indeed some journals requires doi after volume no, in case no page number is available
  • right, but you should put the DOI in the DOI field, not in the page field. The style handles this.
  • forgot to mention that --
    in case page number is not avaialble, the doi info is put in the 'Pages'.

in any case, however, putting doi in Pages should be simply identified as pages by zotero, and the item should not be treated as "in press" by zotero, because it does have a vol and an apparent page number.

in particular, the nature sytle identify it correctly, but the science style fails to do that...
  • But the citation style does that for you. It tests for the presence of a page and if absent prints out the DOI.
    You mustn't do this manually like you're doing.
  • probably the right way is that zotero should treat whatever you input as for example Pages as page number. now it does that for some journals but not for others.