Problems with the inclusion of new sources

Hi Dear Zotero Team,

sometimes when I want to insert a new source in my text, it doesn't happen and I get an error message ("problem with updating)". In particular, my main problem is that the source I want to insert suddenly replaces another source in a different location. This is not good at all and I can't continue working at the moment because otherwise I will ruin my own work.

Do you have any ideas how I can solve this problem?

Have a nice Sunday!

Kind regards

Lukas
  • You will need to be more specific. What OS, what document editor are you using? Did you try the troubleshooting steps? What happened at each step? Also submit and post here a Report ID.
  • Hey,

thanks for your quick reply.

I use MacOS Monterey Version 12.4, Zotero 6.0.11 and Microsoft Word 16.63.1.

Report ID:

My text is extremely long, so it would take a very long time to delete every single source to see if the error still occurs. This would mean troubleshooting step 11.

If I find an erroneous citation, I still don't know the reason why it is broken. How can I make sure that the substitute source is not also broken, or if there is no substitute source at all because only one website offers the information (should I then enter all the information about the source manually in Zotero)?

Do such errors occur more often if you manually change the source in the text, e.g. instead of (Statistisches Bundesamt, 2022) -> (Destatis, 2022)? Does it make a difference if I change the name of the source in the Zotero library instead of in the Word document?

I would be very pleased to receive feedback.

Have a nice evening.

Kind regards

Lukas
  • Small addition:

I have copied individual sections of the text into another document and tested for each section whether the error still occurs when updating. The error has not yet occurred in any of the individual sections. Even if I copy the entire text over, no error message appears so far.

The problem is probably solved temporarily, but sooner or later this error message will certainly reappear. I will simply keep an eye on the source after which the error message suddenly reappears and then remove and replace this source. How can I recognise a good and a bad/broken source?
  • Hi,

I would be super happy about a quick feedback regarding my question.

Have a nice day!

Best

Lukas
  • Sorry for not responding earlier. Are you still experiencing this issue after troubleshooting earlier? In Word if you open Document Preferences (from the Zotero tab) are you storing citations as Bookmarks or Fields?
  • Hi,

yes, I still experiencing this issue.

Today I opened a completely new word file and the error happened again. It was the first source! The only thing I did beforehand was that I changed some parts of the source in zotero. Added for instance a new author last name.

At the moment I am almost more occupied with dealing errors in zotero than working on my thesis.

I store them at the moment as Fields.

I would be very happy about a feedback.

Best

Lukas

• Which citation style are you using? Can you provide full steps to reproducing this issue? Do you have any other Word plugins installed?
  • I am using Apa 7 and have not installed any other plug-in.

What do you mean by full steps? I explained my problem quite adequately in my latest messages.

Best

Lukas
  • See Steps to Reproduce.
    My text is extremely long, so it would take a very long time to delete every single source to see if the error still occurs. This would mean troubleshooting step 11.
    Doesn't matter here if you can reproduce this in a new document, but note that this is incorrect — the whole point of the process outlined there is that doesn't take more than a small number of steps, no matter how many citations you have in the document.