Zotero is not working

Hi, this is my first day using Zotero (I was previously using Mendeley, but now my affiliation does not allow me to do so)

This morning Zotero was working fine, but now is just horrid. It would not allow me to add any references or import my library from Mendeley (once it let me sign in to Mendeley but most of the time it will open a blank window and won't even allow me to put my credentials).

I uninstall the whole thing and re-install it and it keeps working as bad. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Could it be related to the last update?
  • It would not allow me to add any references or import my library from Mendeley
    Are you only having trouble with the Mendeley importer, or is there some more general problem? Please skip the sweeping statements ("Zotero is not working", "just horrid", "keeps working as bad") and just report the problem you're experiencing, with a Report ID and specific steps to reproduce the problem:

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
    once it let me sign in to Mendeley but most of the time it will open a blank window and won't even allow me to put my credentials)
    What does "most of the time" mean? Why are you trying to run it repeatedly?

A blank login window trying to import from Mendeley would be either a problem on Mendeley's end or problem with Zotero's network connection on your computer.
  • Hi, thank you for the information. I had problems importing documents to Zotero, it allowed me to add notes but that's as far as it went. It did not let me import documents by using the new item button, or by dragging them. Whenever I tried to do so, it froze for some seconds (as if it was doing something in the background) and then come back (without adding the reference).

When I said "most of the time" I meant that every time that I tried importing the library but one it opened a blank window and did not connect to Mendeley. I tried repeated times because it did not import the library on the prior ones, and I tried it after I tried to solve the issue. Additionally, one time it allowed me to add my Mendeley credentials and then froze while importing, so I tried again after this happened.

I tried closing the program, unlinking and re-linking my account, restarting my computer, and uninstalling and re-installing the program. After each of these methods I tried to import the library or to add a paper (either by importing single files or by dragging them). The problem persist until I connected to Zotero.org and uploaded an article there. Then, my desktop version updated and Zotro started working smoothly again.

I also sent a report directly from Zotero after experiencing some of these issues. I am sorry if the tone was negative, I don't mean to say that Zotero is bad by any means. I wrote this comment after trying to solve this issue for 45 min - 1 hour and with an upcoming deadline, so I was quite frustrated. Additionally, I wanted to know whether it had anything to do with the last update since this issues starting arising after accepting to update Zotero.
  • Are you currently having trouble, or is it working now?

It's not clear exactly what you were seeing — it sounds like something was running in Zotero or on your computer, causing other operations to stall. In general, see Reporting Problems for the basic info we'd need in order to help. For a performance problem, we'd want a Debug ID for the operation that was slow.