Is it time to delete Zotfile and switch to Zotero Storage with file sync (paid plan)?

With the release of Zotero 6 + the iOS app, I find myself thinking I should make this change. When I initially set up Zotero, I was instructed to do so with certain plugins to support the workflow I was adopting (essentially a Zotero/Roam/R Markdown/Quarto or Zotero/Obsidian/R Markdown/Quarto workflow).

For context, my Zotero library now contains almost 1500 items.

Primary reasons I am considering making this change:

1. I will likely need a new machine in the next 12-18 months (MacBook Pro user) and I would like for that switch to be as seamless as possible.

It seems like Zotero sync (with file sync) would be the least complex option. I can see that it is possible to do this without it (all of my PDF files are stored in folders, created by Zotfile, in iCloud and/or Google Drive), but the process seems significantly more complex than it would be with Zotero's file sync option.

2. I am an iPad user (fully entrenched in the Apple ecosystem), and I would like to have access to my PDFs on the iPad.

I get that this can be done with WebDAV, but, again, this adds a layer of complexity that I'm not quite sure is worth it.

3. Zotfile is no longer supported and has not been for quite some time.

Reasons I am hesitant to make the change:

1. I don't know if moving away from Zotfile will break anything else in my workflow.

Seemingly, I am just using it for naming (will get to this next) and moving files. I am not aware of any other plugins that require Zotfile as a dependency of sorts?

2. I like the Zotfile naming conventions I have and I am not too fond of the Zotero options (even the hidden options).

The primary issue with file naming is that I would prefer not to have space in the file name, so "Zotero2022HowtoNotHaveSpace.pdf" instead of what Zotero gives me which is similar to "Zotero et al.2022How to Not Have Space.pdf"

I know that @dstillman and others have made the point that this is antiquated and there is no practical reason for avoiding spaces in file names (for pdfs at least), my programming brain is still not okay with it for some reason. Maybe I just need to get over it.

Configuring Zotfile to just rename the pdf files and leave them in the default Zotero storage subdirectory seems a bit challenging and perhaps error-prone?

It is also important to note that I have no issue with paying for Zotero's storage plan. I think, based on the size of my library, I would need the unlimited storage option. I feel that I get way more than $120/year worth of value from Zotero so this is not a deterrent at all.

Apologies for the long post. Just looking for some guidance and curious if anyone else has recently made a similar switch. With all of the updates to Zotero 6, Zotfile seems to be necessary for very few use cases (completely replaced the Zotfile/mdNotes workflow with native annotations).

Also, the process for switching over my current linked files to stored files is not exactly trivial, but IIRC it shouldn't be super complex.

Any thoughts would be helpful. Thanks in advance!
  • I would suggest switching to Zotero file storage. It will definitely provide the smoothest workflow. You can keep Zotfile installed just for the renaming options (though if author, title, and year are sufficient, you can change the pattern that Zotero itself uses to not have spaces).
  • Same here -- if the costs aren't an issue for you, Zotero storage is just super convenient. I haven't lost a minute thinking about file syncing in more than 5 years.
    1. I don't know if moving away from Zotfile will break anything else in my workflow.
    No. Nothing else depends on Zotfile.
    Configuring Zotfile to just rename the pdf files and leave them in the default Zotero storage subdirectory seems a bit challenging and perhaps error-prone?
    No, this is no problem at all and works reliably; you just keep "Attach stored copy of files" under File Locations in the General tab of the ZotFile preferences. (And yes, you will need ZotFile to remove spaces in filenames; I'd say the pure rename functionality is also ZotFile's most reliable feature even without much maintenance). And, obviously, if Zotero ever expands renaming options to satisfy your needs, you could easily just drop ZotFile
    For context, my Zotero library now contains almost 1500 items.
    And just to note that this means you're definitely under 6GB and possibly under 2GB of needed storage, so we're not even talking about $120.
  • The primary issue with file naming is that I would prefer not to have space in the file name, so "Zotero2022HowtoNotHaveSpace.pdf" instead of what Zotero gives me which is similar to "Zotero et al.2022How to Not Have Space.pdf"
    (An upcoming version will incorporate similar customizability into Zotero's own renaming.)
  • @brianpmayfield did you make thé change%?
    I confess it took me some time to find a good workflow on syncing between my MacBook and my iPad using linked files +zotfiles and an good pdf reader . And I am not so sure I want to change my routine and pay for a cloud storage since I already have a good one from my institution.
    What can you tell to convince me? :)