Performer name is labeled anonymous when inserting Album citations

Hi- I'm having trouble with citing musical albums in my Word document. The album information saves properly in Zotero, including name of the Performer. However, the Performer's name comes up as "Anonymous" when I insert an album citation in my Word document. For instance, I'm citing Ice Cube's 1991 album Death Certificate, which shows up fine in my Zotero library. But the in-text citation shows up as (Anon 1991) when I add it to my document. Any idea about how to fix this?
  • What style?

Do you have names for composer / lyricist in Zotero?
  • ASA, from the looks of it.

@adamsmith, @bwiernik, I guess this is a consequence of a style not being updated for CSL 1.0.2? "Performer" is no longer passed through as author, and so if a style hasn't been updated to have performer, the performer is ignored?
  • Yes, ASA style of citation. I have the artist's name in the Performer field, but the Composer/Lyricist fields are not filled out. Performer's name used to show up as the author for in-text citations in my documents, but it's not showing up anymore. What is CSL? My copy of Zotero just updated and the citation of albums have not been right since. Does that have to do with is CSL?
  • Hmm, I think it would be best to map Performer for Audio Recording to `author` and only map. The `performer` CSL variable was intended mostly for things like actors in a play or film, which are occasionally cited. (So, eg, a Cast Member creator for Film)

Would it be possible to conditionally map Performer to `performer` if the item has a Composer but to `author` otherwise?
  • @antran215

CSL stands for Citation Style Language.

See:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/styles
    https://citationstyles.org/

Zotero and several other similar programs use CSL to format what is in your Zotero library database into bibliographic styles such as APA, ASA, Chicago, Vancouver, etc.
  • Hmm, I think it would be best to map Performer for Audio Recording to `author` and only map.
    @bwiernik: I think you left something out here?
    Would it be possible to conditionally map Performer to `performer` if the item has a Composer but to `author` otherwise?
    We could add some special logic here if we have to, though it's not ideal — the goal is really to map everything declaratively in schema.json. And then I don't know what this means for import. When importing song from CSL-JSON to audioRecording, we accept both author and performer, mapped to performer in Zotero?
    The `performer` CSL variable was intended mostly for things like actors in a play or film, which are occasionally cited. (So, eg, a Cast Member creator for Film)
    Oh, it looks like we had these in our planned changes, but I can do these now for castMember in radioBroadcast, tvBroadcast, and videoRecording. We don't have castMember on film but that's obviously coming.
  • @bwiernik: I think you left something out here?
    Sorry, that was earlier draft of what became my comment about castMember, etc.
    We could add some special logic here if we have to, though it's not ideal
    Okay, in that case, let's just map it always to author and use performer just for contributors that are not the principle creator (like cast members).
  • OK, thanks, that we can do. So then the upshot is that Zotero's sole Performer will just be CSL author, while Cast Member will be CSL performer.

@antran215, this should now be fixed in the latest Zotero beta, and the fix will be included in Zotero 6.0.12.
  • Thanks, everyone! That worked.
  • Zotero 6.0.12 is available now with the fix.