2.0b7.1: Zotero Not Syncing Attachments

Greetings,
Maybe someone can offer assistance. Zotero is not syncing my attached pdf's or jpg files to Computer B - it fails with, "The attached files could not be found."
It doesn't matter if I drag a image into the Zotero panel (from website or computer) or use the menu to, "Store Copy of File" if it is on my HD - I get the same result.

I have tried:
1. Reset File Sync History on Computer B & Computer A
2. Restored From Zotero Server (to erase all the local data)
3. Tried Computer B to save attachments.

I have my WebDav set up correctly as I can see the attachments on the server as they are being uploaded from Computer A (or B respectively). I am using 2.0b7.1 on Vista and XP. Latest Firefox on both and WebDav is correctly set up as well. I continue to get, "The attached files could not be found."

Any help appreciated!
  • Are these files in your personal library or a group library?
  • I would understand this as my personal library. I have WebDav setup with two computers accessing the same account (laptop and desktop) via the Zotero preference pane. Both are logging into the WebDav account and checking for attachments, but not working properly when you try to view the attachments on one of the computers.
  • digitalpic: From the computer without the files, restart Firefox, enable debug output logging from the Advanced pane of the Zotero prefs, Reset File Sync History from the Sync->Reset pane, and perform a sync. Then submit the debug output and post the Debug ID here.
  • edited September 19, 2009
    Ok, Debug ID: D1263804921

The log file is over 500 lines, not sure if that is recommended???
    Thanks.
  • For starters, there's something wrong with your WebDAV server—it doesn't appear to be properly saving files (or at least correctly responding to certain requests).

You can check what files have been uploaded by, in Zotero, clicking Show File and looking at the parent folder name, which will be something like "AAFBPMII". If the file uploaded correctly to the WebDAV server, you should see AAFBPMII.zip and AAFBPMII.prop files on the server.

From this debug output, it appears that the file you're trying to open in the "AAFBPMII" directory isn't on the WebDAV server. The 'lastsync' file that Zotero uploads to indicate a successful sync also either isn't be uploaded or isn't showing up in an HTTP HEAD request from Zotero.
  • Ok, I am going to try to use the Zotero servers for file attachments (instead of WebDav) to see if this clears up the problem. Do you recommend 're-setting' both computers after syncing to Zotero?
    Thanks for all your help. This is a great program!
  • I stopped using WebDav to sync and am now using Zotero server to sync attachments. Same issue - not syncing attachments from Computer A to Computer B.

An easy way to replicate this issue is to simply try and drag an image from the browser into the Zotero panel, essentially creating an attachment to sync to the server, then sync from the other computer and see if the attachment is included via "Show File" button in the control panel next to the image.

You can also try and "Store Copy of File" from the drop down menu to upload the attachment to the server and then sync from the other computer. I have tried both ways and still no attachment shows up on the other computer. Your results may vary.
  • I thought you need to press the sync button on computer A, to upload the new attachments to the server, before you can grab them with sync on computer B.