WIndows 11 search not working

This discussion was created from comments split from: Zotero and Windows 11.
  • I have had an issue with Windows 11 after installing Zotero. Now the search feature in Windows Explorer does not work. I have replicated this with a new install of Windows 11 and install of Zotero. Not happy with Zotero and have used it for many years in previous versions of Windows.
  • (Please start new threads for new issues — the thread you posted to isn't related. I've moved this to a new thread.)

Zotero wouldn't have anything to do with the search feature of Windows. If you're having a problem with Windows search, that's obviously a problem you'd need to report to Microsoft or get help for in Windows forums.
  • edited July 14, 2022
    Looks like it may be another program, Still troubleshooting.
  • I have no idea what you're talking about. Zotero is based on Firefox 60 ESR. It doesn't have anything to do with the .NET Framework.

Again, we have nothing to do with the Windows search function.
  • edited July 14, 2022
    Looks like it may be another program.

• As an IT director, surely you understand that we can't help with the Windows search function and can only suggest that you talk to Microsoft? It's not our software and we don't have anything to do with it. We can't fix a problem in software that's not ours and that we're not interacting with in any way.

In any case, Windows 11 has been out for 9 months, and no one has reported anything like this. Just to confirm, I just created a VM with a clean Windows 11 Home install, created a text file on the desktop, installed Zotero, and launched it. Windows search finds the file on the desktop perfectly fine.

(At no point, by the way, was I prompted to install the .NET Framework, which is preinstalled with Windows 11, and was preinstalled in previous versions of Windows as well. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned having to install the .NET Framework to use Zotero in all the years of these forums. I have no idea if Firefox, on which Zotero is based, requires some standard library in that framework, but it's not really relevant — it's a standard part of Windows. I'm not sure why you've decided that a framework from Microsoft that's normally bundled with Windows has something to do with your search problem, but regardless, it obviously doesn't have anything to do with us.)

Again, if you're having trouble with Windows functionality, you'll have to seek assistance elsewhere.