Zotero Word Plugin fails in Monterey 12.5 Beta 5

edited July 11, 2022
Hey,

my report ID is 1726783786

Acutally, this is really making me crazy.

After installation of MacOs 12.5 beta 5 - I can't insert any citations to word.

I've tried using zotero beta (6.0.10), word 2019, word 2021, stable, preview and beta channel - nothing works.

Didn't made a timeMachine downgrade and now I'm stuck while writing my BA thesis... can someone advise any hints?

vr

-dev1linside
  • You have to say more. What exactly are you doing and what's happening? What citation style?
  • edited July 10, 2022
    @dev1linside: Oh, though if you're on the Monterey beta, there was another report of that failing:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/98286/mac-word-integration-error

Needless to say, you shouldn't be running a beta OS version on the computer where you're writing your thesis.
  • TY for your prompt answer.

it says: The word file can't be updated.

On the first click nothing happens, on the second click I see that bug report in zotero

actually, nothing is possible. nor inserting a citation or modifying others. creating a library is also not possible. worked fine on 12.5beta 4 unfortunately.

• We appreciate the report, and we'll try to test on a Monterey beta, but obviously this isn't something you should be doing on a production machine, so you'll need to find a way to downgrade, temporarily switch to a different machine, or temporarily work without the plugin.
  • I can confirm that there is a problem with Monterey beta 5 and Zotera. I reinstalled Word, Zotera, and the Word plugin. I tried connecting in a blank document and get the following warning:
    Zotero Integration Error
    Zotero experienced an error updating your document.
    Would you like to view troubleshooting instructions?

In the Zotera error console, here is the message:
    [JavaScript Error: "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -609.) @[getDocument:application.m:106]" {file: "file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js" line: 264}]

Hope this helps the troubleshooting.
  • This is a major bug with AppleScript in macOS 12.5 Beta 5:

https://mjtsai.com/blog/2022/07/06/applescript-broken-in-macos-12-5-beta-5/

We'll report as well, but it's not specific to Zotero or Word in any way, and it will almost certainly get fixed before the release.
  • @dstillman thanks for the reply.

I've downgraded to 12.4 and it works fine again. However, my pov is unfortunately
    don't waste to much time on 12.5 beta 5, as it was very buggy to me (incl. non-working finder as an example.)

Now it works fine again.

Before I had some issues with word 2021 - is this known?

V/R
  • With the 12.5 GM candidate released on 7/12, the AppleScript bug has been squashed. The Zotera Word plugin is working.